Standard metadata tags

Started by banzai, September 06, 2013, 06:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

banzai

Hi there,

I created a metadata template and chose "Author" from the "Standard" tab. After reading the help file, I expected to get "Composite\Creator" (the standard tags, which get synchronized to different other tags, start with "Composite", or is this a misunderstanding?). In fact, I got "XMP::dc\Creator". Same problem with description, where I also got the tag from the dublin core group.

After selecting the "Composite" tags by hand, I used the template to insert data.
Now I expected to see the data when displaying the "Composite" tag and also when displaying the "XMP::dc" tag.
But only the first one was filled.

Bug or wrong usage?

banzai

Ok, I guess the synchronization happens on write back of the metadata to the image file?
After I clicked the pen icon, the author name was also displayed in the dublin core tag.
BUT it was displayed two times (separated with ";") in each tag...?

banzai

Now, I manually edited the "Composite\Creator" tag to only contain my name one time.
After clicking apply and then writing back the metadata, the name was again displayed two times.
Interestingly, the .XMP sidecar file of my .NEF only contains the name one time (in the dublin core field).

Mario

There is an open bug report about the duplication issue:

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=145.msg627#msg627

The Composite tags (see also the IMatch help) are special tags created by ExifTool when importing files.
For standard Metadata it is usually better to use XMP data only (which is why the Standard tags use XMP data) because Composite tags do not support multi-language contents.

Metadata propagation (copying metadata from XMP to other formats like IPTC/EXIF) takes place when the metadata is written back to the file.

QuoteAfter reading the help file, I expected to get "Composite\Creator"

Why. Did you read this in the help somewhere? Then I'll need to update the corresponding sections.
Later versions of IMatch 5 beta have been changed to favor XMP metadata where possible, because of the multi-language problem with certain Composite tags like description, author etc. See the corresponding section in the release notes in the help for details.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

banzai

QuoteWhy. Did you read this in the help somewhere? Then I'll need to update the corresponding sections.

Not really. I made this up for myself from this:
- the screenshot in the help file shows the tag selector with "Aperture" selected on the standard tab. Result is "Composite\Aperture"
- Description of the standard tags contains this sentence: "These tags use friendlier names than most other tags because they don't need a group". And the "Composite" tags were the only ones I have seen without a group.
- I haven't found anything else about those tags starting with "Composite"
- The original configuration of the metadata panel uses "Composite\Creator" at the top of the core data section

Ok, now I know better and will just use whatever tag I get from the "standard" tab :)