Useful Names for App Panels

Started by sinus, May 02, 2018, 02:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hello everyone
We have 4 possible App-Panels to place different Apps in.
But now (fortunately) we have many different apps to choose from.

That's why I always have the (small) problem that I don't know which app is in panel 1, 2, 3 or 4.
To find out, I have to call the panel again and again.

Hence my suggestion:
Instead of "App Panel 1" and so on, you should see the title of the app, but only the beginning for long app names.
To recognize the app panels as 1, 2, 3 and 4 anyway, something like:

1 Var Toy
2 Statistic app
3 My own app
4 Music Player

Seen above all, I would find this a pleasant additional information.

Thanks for thinking about it.

Related to: https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=7960.msg55910;topicseen#msg55910
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

zematima

BanjoTom

— Tom, in Lexington, Kentucky, USA

Jingo

+1 - looks like functionality exists to specify a specific app panel to run an app in (ie: IMatch.appRun({appid: 'photools.com.IMatch.VarToy', target: 'app-panel-2',});) - might not be too difficult to setup functionality to store and display the app name into the target app tabs instead of the generic 1-4...

Mario

When I yesterday suggested to sinus to add a FR, I also wrote that I didn't think that this would solves a real problem.

But as the number of +1 added to his FR and the short time in which these were added revealed, it actually was something that people wanted!

Only a part of the IMatch user base uses the community, and from that many are mostly reading but not posting.
A few +1 for a FR thus translates to "useful for many".

I have now implemented this.
As I had feared, the problem was again the user interface toolkit and how to bend it to make this work. This tool several hours. For something that should have been simple...sigh.
I first changed the caption when the App Panel loaded an app. That worked well.
Unfortunately, the UI toolkit creates the App Panel only when it becomes active. You can see the "tab" with the title "App Panel" in the docking group, but the panel itself does not exist. The UI toolkit creates it when you click on the tab to make the panel active. So, all loaded app panels displayed the "App Panel" title until I clicked on them once. Unsatisfactory.

I had to change the code so I could a) know from the "outside" which app was last loaded in any of the four panels. This is usually something the app panels manage internally.
And then I had to figure out where in the mindbogglingly complicated and barely documented machinery of the UI toolkit hat manages the panels I had to hook in to set the panel title dynamically. Jeez.

Anyway, it now works. I hope that this will be a welcome addition for many users. This will be available in IMatch 2018.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Great news, Mario!

Thanks a lot and thanks for your interesting explanation in your post.
I'm sure quite a few people will appreciate that.

Although you had a lot of work with it, it was lightning fast.  :D
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

BanjoTom

I'll add my thanks as well -- and once again I'm amazed at how quickly you get things done, Mario!!!
— Tom, in Lexington, Kentucky, USA

Kucera

Speedy Gonzales! Before I even had time to add my own + 1 to the mix ;D
Congrats and thanks
Emil

Jingo