IMatch 2018 Sneak Peak: TRY THE NEW HELP APP

Started by Mario, May 03, 2018, 06:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

Hi, users

today I have made available 'Beta' version of the new IMatch 2018 Help System App.

IMatch 2018 by default uses the online version of the IMatch help.
This ensures that you always get the latest contents and that I can ship corrections and additions immediately to all users.

The optional (separate download) Help System App provides a snapshot of the help system for users who are not always online or who prefer to use a locally installed help system.

The app uses a single-click installation process (no options) and installs into your user folder. This means it can be installed without administrative privileges. Install and uninstall is quick and clean. If you later install an updated version of the app, it automatically updates the existing version. Slick!

If you want to try out the new app (please do!), follow this link:

https://www.photools.com/imatch-help-app/

The app installs on Windows 7 or later. 64-bit systems only. It is signed with my personal Authenticode certificate for security.

Install it. Use it. Uninstall it. Let me know what you think.
Note: Some of the contents in that help are for IMatch 2018 already. Don't be confused when the screen shots show things you cannot find in your version of IMatch.

Additional Info, for Technically Interested Users

The help system app is written in JavaScript and HTML and then converted (wrapped, actually) into a real Windows application using the Electron application framework. This is the first time that I have created an application using this modern approach and tool chain. I don't understand everything in detail yet, but it works great nevertheless.

Using Electron is not for the squeamish. Even a simple 'Hello World' boilerplate application requires a tool chain and dependencies which install about 24,000 (!) files in your project folder. It's hard to get everything setup and configured but once it runs, it runs. And you can write real Windows / Linux / Mac applications in JavaScript and HTML.

If I wanted, I could also release a Linux version and Mac version of the Help System App. I will try for the Linux app, just for fun. To build the app for Macs I need to buy an Apple computer first  - Apple is very restrictive and does not allow their build tools to run on other systems. And I would need one or two Mac for testing anyway...won't happen very soon I guess  ;D
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

thrinn

Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

pmbvw

I have installed and tested the app.  No problem.
Surely a great addition for many users, even if I do not need an offline version :)

Kucera

Works fine. I am one of those who liked the help file locally.
How does it differ from  just opening the imatch.chm separately from explorer? (which is what I did so far, to avoid the help called via F1 help obstructing the file window). Apart from being, I assume, more frequently updated.
Regards Emil

Mario

IMatch.chm will no longer exist in IMatch 2018.
As I explained in recent threads, the CHM format is old and Microsoft has never updated it to modern HTML standards. I cannot do what I want with it.
Hence my switch to a true web-based online help, with the new app as fallback for now.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Quote from: Mario on May 03, 2018, 10:34:50 PM
As I explained in recent threads, the CHM format is old and Microsoft has never updated it to modern HTML standards. I cannot do what I want with it.
Hence my switch to a true web-based online help, with the new app as fallback for now.

I think this is a good thing. When IM 5 first came out, I spent some time reading through the CHM file on my Android tablet. I wasn't impressed by the available CHM readers then available (probably no change since then).

I did notice that the new IMatch Help System window that comes up refers to using F1 for context-sensitive help (which brings up the 'old' Help system). I assume that in IM 2018 this will trigger the 'new' help system.
John

Mario

QuoteI assume that in IM 2018 this will trigger the 'new' help system.

Yes.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Quote from: Mario on May 03, 2018, 06:30:33 PM

Using Electron is not for the squeamish. Even a simple 'Hello World' boilerplate application requires a tool chain and dependencies which install about 24,000 (!) files in your project folder. It's hard to get everything setup and configured but once it runs, it runs. And you can write real Windows / Linux / Mac applications in JavaScript and HTML.

For me this is not the "less is better" or "make it simple as possible".
24'000 files for something like you wrote is hmmm, I do not know.  :o ::)

Hence you can lean back relaxed - when sometimes you thought IMatch had too many options with too many bells and whistles.  ;D

And yes, I have installed it, your help works fine. Very good.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Aubrey

Quote from: Mario on May 03, 2018, 06:30:33 PM

If you want to try out the new app (please do!), follow this link:

https://www.photools.com/imatch-help-app/

The app installs on Windows 7 or later. 64-bit systems only. It is signed with my personal Authenticode certificate for security.

I had a minor issue with installation - Avast stopped me installing - see message attached. The file was being submitted for interrogation at the Avast Virus Lab.... not really what I wanted. Anyway I disabled Avast while doing the installation.

Quote from: jch2103 on May 03, 2018, 11:24:37 PM
Quote from: Mario on May 03, 2018, 10:34:50 PM

I think this is a good thing. When IM 5 first came out, I spent some time reading through the CHM file on my Android tablet. I wasn't impressed by the available CHM readers then available (probably no change since then).

I have used the chm on my Android tablet without an issue. It's kind of nice to have like that, one can sit on the settee and digest some details without having to be behind the computer screen and/or have an internet connection.

Mario

1.  Just to mention it (no worries):
Uploading a copyright executable or copyrighted data (as this case my help system) to a 3rd party website is in violation of the license agreement and could have legal consequences.
It is irrelevant if this is a Czech antivirus company or a software piracy web site somewhere on the DarkNet.
If you have configured your virus checker to upload licensed and copyrighted data to 3rd party websites without your explicit permission, you should be really careful. You'll never know and you are responsible for what your computer does  :o ;)

2. Naturally, I have tested the file (like always) not only with my 3 locally installed virus checkers, but also with the 67 virus checkers provided by Google's VirusTotal.  None of the 70 anti-virus engines found anything problematic with that file. Avast is one of the very few anti-virus vendors who does not participate in VirusTotal, so this may explain things...

If you don't know VirusTotal, check it out here:

https://www.virustotal.com
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

rksharma

Working smooth! Thanks a lot.

Ronny Sharma
Appvalley Tutuapp Tweakbox

DigPeter

App installed, having ignored AVG's warning that it might be unsafe.  It is useful to have the CHM entries and the website help pages all accessible in one place.

One small point on first quick look:  In the search box, I cannot use backspace -  I have to delete the whole entry and start again.

Jingo

Nothing major - but when using search and having clicked a link from the search results - it would be nice if the search results "overlay" closed itself and the focus be on the clicked link.  Thx!

Mario

Quote from: DigPeter on May 07, 2018, 11:27:38 PM
App installed, having ignored AVG's warning that it might be unsafe.  It is useful to have the CHM entries and the website help pages all accessible in one place.

One small point on first quick look:  In the search box, I cannot use backspace -  I have to delete the whole entry and start again.
This has been fixed already.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

Quote from: Jingo on May 08, 2018, 02:14:06 AM
Nothing major - but when using search and having clicked a link from the search results - it would be nice if the search results "overlay" closed itself and the focus be on the clicked link.  Thx!
This is by intention. You can "preview" the selected page. Just press <ESC> to close the result overlay. Also works for the Table of Contents overlay.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

Quote from: Mario on May 08, 2018, 08:21:44 AM
Quote from: Jingo on May 08, 2018, 02:14:06 AM
This is by intention. You can "preview" the selected page. Just press <ESC> to close the result overlay. Also works for the Table of Contents overlay.

Interesting... when I first did it - I could have sworn that the results were OVERLAYED over the results hence the request above... however, I just did it now and I can see the results are UNDER the search results.. which is perfect.  Hmmmm.... anyway - all set here!  Thx for explaining! - Andy.

ben

ahmm, how do i open it after installation?
It doesn't show up in the app list.

Jingo

It should be listed as a shortcut on your desktop after installation...  I imagine for the 2018 version it will replace the documentation app within the app manager.

Mario

Quote from: Jingo on May 11, 2018, 03:02:29 PM
I imagine for the 2018 version it will replace the documentation app within the app manager.
No. This documentation is for IMWS and Developers. It's dynamically generated by IMWS itself.

The Help App replaces the CHM-based help system used in IMatch currently. See my first post above for full details.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

Quote from: ben on May 11, 2018, 09:36:09 AM
ahmm, how do i open it after installation?
It doesn't show up in the app list.
This is not an "IMatch App" but a regular Windows application. Just double-click on the desktop shortcut the installer has created for you.
I used the term app because this application was written entirely in JavaScript and HTML. See my initial post for details.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ben

now it worked.
I think it does what it should and looks very nice.

Maybe these two feedbacks i can give:
1) Would be good to have the "contents overview" always visible (as an option)
2) If you use the search and select one of the search results, then the list and the selected results should be next to each other. Now, the selected result is below the list.

Ben

ben

BUT!
The help doesn't always start. In fact, the window is only displayed in 1 out of 3 trials when i double click the icon on the desktop.
When it doesn't start, i can see a background task started in the task manager, but no window.
Win10 x64

Mario

Quote from: ben on May 11, 2018, 11:06:51 PM
BUT!
The help doesn't always start. In fact, the window is only displayed in 1 out of 3 trials when i double click the icon on the desktop.
When it doesn't start, i can see a background task started in the task manager, but no window.
Win10 x64

Since you seem to be the only user having this problem I assume that there is something specific on your system that causes this.
Electron has no specific debug logging capabilities so I have no idea how to analyze this further.
If the standalone help system does not work on your computer, you can only use the web-based help. Which will be the default in IMatch 2018.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator