Apply target marker coordinates function changes

Started by Retman, May 30, 2018, 05:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retman

I currently use iMatch 2017 to review, change or add GPS tags in about 45,000 travel photos.  Your Google Maps integration is, by far, the best I have found.

Feature Request:  In the Map panel, provide an option to disable the confirmation dialog after clicking the yellow check mark icon (Apply the target marker coordinates to all selected files)

For frequent uses of that function, the warning is ignored, causes an extra action and does little to help prevent mistakes.  At least for me.

Feature Request:  Provide a larger, more obvious indication of the number of thumbnails selected.

I normally have in view the window with the folder tree and thumbnails/selected thumbnails.  The small font indicator of the number of files selected is a great help to me in preventing mistakes.  It would be good to have that number somewhere in the Map panel, much more obvious/bigger and close to the yellow check mark icon.

Thanks for your consideration.

Mario

I will consider this.

If this is urgent and may save you time now, I can tell you how to change the source code of the map panel to skip the dialog box. This is very easy to do.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Yup.. I was reviewing the code for that (and for the selected # on the marker) and it seemed pretty doable... but then I went to eat dinner and never came back to it!   :-*

Mario

If you use Google Maps, you can disable the prompt by changing the file

c:\...\programdata\IMatch6\webroot\imatch\apps\mapapp\gm\gmaps.js

Search for the function onApplyTargetMarker and then comment out the dialog box by adding // in front of two lines.
It should then look like this:

The // in front of the m.showMessageBoxYesNo and the closing //}); do the trick.

If you use OpenStreetMap or Bing you would do the same to the file

c:\...\programdata\IMatch6\webroot\imatch\apps\mapapp\gm\olaps.js.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Retman

Thank you!  I don't have experience with the new scripting but this seems to be a good place to begin learning.

Mario

Quote from: Retman on June 01, 2018, 12:03:01 AM
Thank you!  I don't have experience with the new scripting but this seems to be a good place to begin learning.

The beauty of the HTML/JavaScript-based approach is that everything comes in 'open' source code and that everybody can join in.
Even users who've never did any programming can at least do some basic changes to the scripts shipped with IMatch or provided by other users. Like in this case.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

Just note that since this changes a standard program - you'll want to create a backup of this (or any standard) modified file so you can restore the changes after any update.  For ease of use, I typically backup the original version along with the modified version and then use beyond compare on the updated standard and the old standard.  If they are a binary match - then I just overwrite the new version with the old modified version... if they are different, then I use beyond compare to add the modifications into the new standard. 

Of course, if Mario decides to add this into an update - then you will no longer need the modified file.   ::)

Mario

Good point.
Windows Installer replaces all apps shipped with IMatch on ever install/update.
But users should backup the entire "ProgramData"-Folder at least daily, because it contains super-important data from all installed applications, not only IMatch  ;)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Retman

I made the change, after backing up the original file, and the result is wonderful.  It took some time because I also got tangled in the Google change, but it is all resolved now.

I understand the potential problems with new versions.  If they have fixes or new features a user would want those.  For small changes like this I will probably just keep notes on the change and make them to the latest version.

Again, thanks for the help.

mastodon

If there would be a toggle/switch for this in the Options, one would not bother for updates.

Mario

I have changed the prompt dialog to include a "Don't show again in this session" checkbox. This should be sufficient without removing the prompt completely, for the benefit of users who don't use the Map Panel often.

I'm not sure about the

QuoteFeature Request:  Provide a larger, more obvious indication of the number of thumbnails selected.

part. The Map Panel currently does not know about how many files are selected (this info is not needed). It only knows about selected files with GPS data, because it needs to display them.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator