Actions in a category

Started by sinus, September 09, 2013, 01:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hi,
I am asking only to be sure, I guess, my wish is not possible yet.

Inside a category-property I can choose the so called "Assignment Action", what does unassign images from its siblings, for example.

This is great, because I can create for example a workflow like this:

Workflow
- not edited
- part edited
- fully edited

and put some images into the "not edited" - category, and after editing I move the images into the "fully edited", these images are automatically unassigned from the "not edited"

Really GREAT.

Imagine the power of the category-system of IM5, if I could do MORE actions, when adding images into a category!

Say, I could do actions like these for the images,what I put in a category (leave the images, what are already in the category, untouched):

- add/change collections (add or change to a red flag, a green pin and a yellow label)

This would be great, because I could create a clever category-tree with a workflow and move my images from workflow-parts (start) to other parts (metadata finished) until the end (all finished and archived).
And all steps would be represented by some icons (what I could choose).

So I could move an image into a cat like "metadata finished" and this would automatically represented in the thumb by a, say, green dot.

I can imagine even more action, what would make the category-system even more mighty, with more actions:

- let run a Metadata-Template
- do a rescan (always only with the new moved and selected images)

and so on...

Only to be sure:
This is at the moment not possible, that I can do more "actions" when I add images in a category, or is there a clever way to do so? (the data-driven cats gives us some more possibilities, but does also not really performs some actions).

Thanks for listening.
best wishes, Markus

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

sinus

Thanks, Mario, for moving.

Between some money-earning works ;) I work on a good workflow for IM5, hence I coming up with some ideas. Will post them in the feature request.

I create for example a data-driven cat, where I can see the format of images - GREAT. REALLY!
In my case I have

nef
jpg
tiff
psd
(and some minors)

I can see them now in the cat-tree. But not in the thumb.
For this I could color-codes this cat, but as you will know, say, over 5 color-coded "bands" each a thumb is often simply too much.
In such a case it would be great, if I could also choose a color from a cat to other collections.
In this case of a format, I think, I would use the Labels from such a data-driven category to differences the nefs (red Label), jpg (blue) and so on.
But this is not possible at the moment, I think.

BTW: Colors: If I have, say 5 colors under each thumb in the cat-pane, that is enough. But for the cat-tree I want maybe some more colors. But this is not possible, because as soon I create such a new colour, it flows under each thumb, and then I have too many colours under each thumb.
Colours should be setting, independent from "under each thumb" and "only in the cat-tree".
Markus

Ferdinand

I'd had a similar reaction to category colours under the thumbs, and as a result am still thinking about how best to use category colours.

BenAW

Quote from: sinus on September 10, 2013, 09:38:15 AM
I create for example a data-driven cat, where I can see the format of images - GREAT. REALLY!
In my case I have

nef
jpg
tiff
psd
(and some minors)

I can see them now in the cat-tree. But not in the thumb.
I put the filename WITHOUT extension above the thumb, and below the thumbs I have filesize and just the extension.
Might be easier than remembering which colour is which extension  ;)
Just for fun I created a datadriven cat, colourcoded, that shows latitude in Red (dark red for North, light red for South, and longitude in blue, dark blue for East, light blue for west)
Works very nice  8)

[attachment deleted by admin]

sinus

Quote from: BenAW on September 10, 2013, 11:35:47 AM

I put the filename WITHOUT extension above the thumb, and below the thumbs I have filesize and just the extension.
Might be easier than remembering which colour is which extension  ;)
Just for fun I created a datadriven cat, colourcoded, that shows latitude in Red (dark red for North, light red for South, and longitude in blue, dark blue for East, light blue for west)
Works very nice  8)

Thanks Ben,
Yep, I have this too, the extension. But to be honest, if I have a lot of thumbs on my monitor, it is much quicker to see, what is nef and what jpg (mostly I have nefs (red) and jpgs (blue, not much to remember).

BTW: I see in your image the same, what I think here: the label (in your case yellow) is too "mighty" (too big), it "presses" almost the thumb down.
In contrary the cats are neat and fit well into the image. But I guess, such "finetuning" things we could ask later, if the real IM5 is out, because such things are really minor things, individual and not very important.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Markus

sinus

Quote from: Ferdinand on September 10, 2013, 10:05:07 AM
I'd had a similar reaction to category colours under the thumbs, and as a result am still thinking about how best to use category colours.

Thanks, Ferdinand,
Yep, I do also still thinking about it (and others) ...  :-\
I guess, I go the same way like in IM3.6 ... 2-3 scripts. Because they are mighty and I can do all what I want (say, if an image is from a client, I can add several icons, cats and so on (what is native not possible yet) ... but to whom I say this, a master of scripting like you  :D

But for doing this I will wait on some more scripts out there, so that I can "take" one and change it.
Start with a new script, I know, I am almost not able to do, but changing an existing one, is easier. That is why I appreciates so much, that Mario delivers a lot of scripts and users too....
Markus