Copyright and Author fields disappear after adding keywords to Fuji raw files

Started by Kevin_C, July 20, 2018, 12:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin_C

Hello,

I'm a new(ish) user of IMatch 2017 and have come across an annoying problem with Fujiflm raw files (Fuji jpg files are OK). This does NOT seem to affect my Canon, Nikon or Panasonic raw files.
As far as I know all metadata settings in the program are defaults.

This is my workflow:

I usually ingest files from the SD card to the (local) hard drive using Photo Mechanic. This creates my file structure, renames the files and inserts 'Headline' & 'Description' fields. (I have tried Downloader Pro, or just copy/paste from Windows 10 explorer also, to eliminate PM from the problem).

I then import these files into the IMatch database. (I usually have a metadata template automatically add Creator, Copyright, Copyright Mark, Usage terms and Title, but I have tried turning this off and entering them manually to eliminate it).

I would then normally add some global keywords at this point also.

I then perform a 'writeback'.

At this point all is OK.

If I then go back to add some more keywords, or add/change anything in the 'Metadata' panel, when I perform another 'writeback' the 'Author' (Creator), and Copyright text fields are then removed!

Adding or removing a star rating or colour label DOES NOT cause the problem.

I can apply my default metadata template again to re-write these OK, but something is not right about this surely? Especiall as it does not affect any other make of raw file I have.

As I said above, I have eliminated Photo Mechanic as I have also tried another program and to just copy and paste the untouched files directly from the SD card. I am also not 'touching' these files in any other program.

Is this some kind of bug or am I doing something stupid?

Thanks

Kevin

thrinn

Hi Kevin,
welcome to the forum!
I do not have Fuji RAW files, so unfortunately I can not help directly. But in https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=7596.0 a very similar problem was discussed. Maybe it can shed some light on your problem.

Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Kevin_C

Thorsten, Thanks for the quick reply and the welcome.

I did try searching but somehow didn't see that thread.

I don't insert any copyright etc. direct from the camera. (I never have done). Maybe if I do this it will work OK, I'll give it a go.
I still don't have problems with no copyright being embedded in the Nikon or Canon files though, so it look to be Fuji (or me!) specific!

Thanks again

Kevin

Mario

This would also be the first thing I would check. I assume that the metadata in the origin file is the problem.

@Kevin_C

Please provide a sample file for download which exhibits this problem. We can then look at the metadata.
If you don't use the default settings, please show us your settings for Edit > Preferences > Metadata 2 in IMatch.

IMatch by default does not write EXIF data to undocumented RAW formats like RAF.
But if your RAF has an empty copyright notice in the EXIF (or any data in one of the fields which need to be synchronized with XMP) this will cause issues when IMatch is re-processing metadata after write-back. Since the updated copyright notice is not synchronized back into the RAF, it will override the copyright notice in the XMP when the file is ingested the next time.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

QuoteI still don't have problems with no copyright being embedded in the Nikon or Canon files though, so it look to be Fuji (or me!) specific!

For NEF and CRW/CR2, IMatch by default updates EXIF and legacy IPTC when writing back. This way all data is properly synchronized.
Not so for RAF, RAF2 or RAF7. Because there is nil information available form Fuji about these formats and IMatch tries not to break things. Usually this works, because the EXIF record has no copyright notice. If you enable that in your camera and it writes an empty copyright notice (which is not the same as no copyright notice) you will run into subtle problems like that. In that case, allowing IMatch to update the EXIF in the RAW is the solution: Edit > Preferences > File Format Preferences: Configure File formats button. Then locate RAW and enable the write-back for EXIF/IPTC.

Or globally disabling MWG compliance (not recommended).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Kevin_C

Thorsten, Mario.

Thank you both for the very quick responses :)

I have embedded my Author & Copyright info into my Fuji X-T2 and now the problem is solved! - When adding or changing keywords etc. these fields now 'stick'.

Thank you for the explanation about NEF & CR2 files compared to RAF, Mario. It explains why I am 'getting away with it' with my older Canon & Nikon images. Do you recommend inserting copyright & author info in these as well, just to be 'correct'?

Many thanks

Kevin

Mario

IMatch by default synchronizes metadata for Nikon/Canon RAW files. If you have added the data in IMatch, it is already synchronized.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator