Is this possible with imatch (App/Script)?

Started by RobiWan, July 26, 2018, 09:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobiWan

Hi,

I'm not sure, maybe the Scripting/Apps section would be better. Please move if necessary

Is this possible with imatch (App/Script)?
- Creating a collection (Example "To Edit")
- Creating a directory on disk (Example "To Edit")
/That can still be done manually/

Now I put pictures into the collection
When I'm done, I just want to start a script/app that creates hardlinks to the images in the previously created directory on my hard disk. After I'm done with editing I can remove files from the directory and Collection

This is probably the only usable solution to use Canon DPP with a DAM software

Mario

This is easy to do.

You cannot create collections. You can add files to the collections: Pen, Pin, Bokmark, Flag.
Or you use a category for that purpose. This is recommended.

The /folders/create endpoint allows you to create one or more folders (directories). See the IMWS doc embedded in IMatch (IMWS Documentation App).

You can also run external applications / shell scripts whatever using the powerful process functions provided by IMatch. These are easily accessible via the IMatchLib helper class. Check out the documentation ("processRun") and the sample app which shows how to run and control external processes and commands.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

RobiWan

Nothing is simple that you don't know  ;D.
But thanks, I'll take a look to see if I can make something there.

Mario

Look at the samples included in IMatch which show how to assign files to a category, and how to iterate over all files in a category to get the names etc.
Next, look at the example which shows how to run an external command.

Then combine. Learning new stuff and writing apps is not easy but fun. Just don't expect to get results in 30 minutes...  ;D
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

Not sure what exactly is the problem. Here a few ideas:

You can have the ingest process add the new files to a collection - for instance to FLAG. (Preferences->Indexing)

If you add files to a folder which is watched by Imatch the folder and files are added automatically to Imatch (and thus to the collection you have specified).

If DPP allows files to be dropped to it then you can set up a favorite link. Selecting the files and clicking on the link will then pass them to DPP.

Not sure if a script would add anything additional.

( I am assuming DPP does RAW conversion similar to Photoshop ACR)

RobiWan

Quote from: ubacher on July 27, 2018, 07:07:40 PM
If DPP allows files to be dropped to it then you can set up a favorite link. Selecting the files and clicking on the link will then pass them to DPP.

And that's the problem. You can only pass files to DPP if it is not running. Is DPP running - nothing happens.

What should the script do? - I have my pictures in my own structure year/month/day and there the pictures remain. If I have made a selection now and create hard links from it - I don't need any space on the hard disk and the pictures are also moved from their place and can be edited with DPP.

Quote from: Mario on July 26, 2018, 11:55:33 AM
Look at the samples included in IMatch

What examples do you mean? I found in the documentataion how to start external program/process but I don't find anything about "assign files to a category".

Mario

Check the App Manager. It has over 20 tutorial scripts. Use the one named "Categories" to see how to work with categories. And the one named "Processes" to see how to launch external processes. The tutorial scripts are fully documented.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

and.. I would add.. start scripting IM from the beginning and with a small app that doesn't do much besides perhaps shows a button, a text box and some message when you click the button.  From there, add in some interaction with the database - like showing the filename of the selected file in the filewindow... and then a group of files from say a category.  Once you have a solid understanding of the interaction with the database and idlists... then, you can proceed to create a category, assign files to it, launch an external process and pass in the images in some manner..