Update App - updating to the current installation directory?

Started by Datameta, July 29, 2018, 07:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Datameta

Hi Mario,

I've just used the Updater App for the first time, overall it was a smooth process.  :D

There's one thing I've noticed that could be improved for me. I'm using a non-standard installation path. The installer, however, suggested to install the new version to the Windows standard program folder.

Could the installer be configured to use the current installation path as the target folder for installation?

Thanks,
Datameta

Mario

This is too complicated, sorry.
I highly recommend installing software in the default install location. Windows 10 has many security mechanisms which monitor and protect the "program files" folders, and which cannot work when you install software elsewhere. This is also true for anti-virus products, which often have extra issues when you run applications not installed in "program files". It's just not worth the trouble.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Datameta

Thanks for consideration. Yes, it might cause security troubles, so I understand, why it could turn out to be a bad choice.

Old habits, you know. 80% of my Software is portable. Though I have tried to use the standard paths several times, I cannot adapt to this cluttered folder mess.

But I run my daily account with highest restrictions (UAC) anyway. It's not the most comfortable way, but I haven't encountered any security-related abnormality for more than 15 years now. 😊
The last snakeoil app I have removed 5 years ago. Windows Defender has gone a long way, and here I trust MS much more than other security provider ,,injecting" their ,,obscure" stuff to the system's core layers.

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Datameta on July 29, 2018, 10:46:00 PMThough I have tried to use the standard paths several times, I cannot adapt to this cluttered folder mess.

Hehe, as an IT professional, I call anything not going into the standard folders as a mess  :)

Jingo

Quote from: Carlo Didier on July 30, 2018, 11:52:36 AM
Quote from: Datameta on July 29, 2018, 10:46:00 PMThough I have tried to use the standard paths several times, I cannot adapt to this cluttered folder mess.

Hehe, as an IT professional, I call anything not going into the standard folders as a mess  :)

+1!

Datameta

Quote from: Jingo on July 30, 2018, 01:50:32 PM

+1!
It's rather OT, but what added protection do I get when I store my portable Notepad++ or Atom Editors or Irfanview underneath the default directories on a single User machine?

Jingo

Quote from: Datameta on July 30, 2018, 07:22:36 PM
Quote from: Jingo on July 30, 2018, 01:50:32 PM

+1!
It's rather OT, but what added protection do I get when I store my portable Notepad++ or Atom Editors or Irfanview underneath the default directories on a single User machine?

Portable apps... none (though even those can be trouble if programmed to use the registry for storing settings rather than an ini file)..

But - as IT folks - when we have to diagnose problems for folks and they have installed software in a path that isn't the typical C:\<program folder> locations, it makes things that much more difficult to troubleshoot.  I've even seen issues where the software was HARDCODED to be looking for the C:\program file<x86> path... and since the user put the software on their D:\ drive - it didn't work.

Datameta

OK, now I see.

Yes, of course, on the corporate enterprise level, I would follow a set of very restricted centrally managed and enforced rules as well. Otherwise it's hardly possible to meet any kind of operational or support SLA. From the security perspective it's a must anyway.

Thanks for explanation.

PS: on my desktop any write access to the registry triggers an elevation prompt.