delete xmp

Started by sinus, August 09, 2018, 11:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hi Mario

No problem here, only out of curiousity:

What does this mean, this message from the Exif Tool Command Processor?
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

Phil Harvey is probably the better expert to answer this...

You are trying to delete all metadata from NEF files (why?) and ExifTool is telling you that it cannot delete some data, because some data is really needed to make your NEF files work.

To delete only xmp, use

-xmp=

instead.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Oh, thanks, Mario

Well, because 4000 files out of 260'000 files have the yellow pencil and I get not rid of it.
If I use this command, it works and it seems, that all relevant information (Headline, Description...) will be "saved".

After again a click on the files with the yellow pencil, and after this command, these files are ok again and the yellow penicil is gone.  :D

And yes, it seems to be only the case with nefs with a xmp-sidecar (delete directly the xmp-sidecar does the job also).

I think, if it works, then it is fine and not worth to look into this, hence I will try still your tip and then go further. Once the 4000 files will be fine again  ;D
Markus

Mario

I would not strip all EXIF, IPTC, GPS and other data from NEF files. Who knows about the side effects? Lr will have problems processing them when you remove all EXIF data, for example.

I would first try to remove embedded XMP data (if any). If the files were processed with Nikon Capture they most likely have embedded XMP data.
And we have discussed the consequences and ways to handle this numerous times here in the community.

If removing the embedded XMP data does not help. remove embedded legacy IPTC data. This usually fixes things.

Stripping all metadata with -all= is not the correct way.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on August 09, 2018, 11:40:32 AM
I would not strip all EXIF, IPTC, GPS and other data from NEF files. Who knows about the side effects? Lr will have problems processing them when you remove all EXIF data, for example.

I would first try to remove embedded XMP data (if any). If the files were processed with Nikon Capture they most likely have embedded XMP data.
And we have discussed the consequences and ways to handle this numerous times here in the community.

If removing the embedded XMP data does not help. remove embedded legacy IPTC data. This usually fixes things.

Stripping all metadata with -all= is not the correct way.

Danke, Mario!

This helps also, you are correct.
Delete only all xmp worked perfect.
Now all my problems with unwritten Metas are solved.  :D
Markus

Mario

We've discussed this many times, and there is an entire section in the help too.
Nikon insisting on embedding XMP metadata in NEF files caused a lot of issues, unless you configure IMatch correctly (to ignore the embedded XMP) or you delete the embedded XMP.

It's the same with some new Nikon models (and other brands) adding a rudimentary XMP record into RAW files, with rating=0 (meaning "no rating"). This also causes issues with applications which support XMP embedded in RAW files (like IMatch). IMatch has features for that too.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator