Where to locate the database?

Started by KchoPrro, August 10, 2018, 09:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KchoPrro

Hello friends!

I have put a new HD SSD and I have changed my old HD IDE 5.400rpm. I would like to have the iMatch database on the HD IDE disk to separate programs and data, very useful when it comes to repair system or install from scratch.

However, I think that if I have the database in the HD IDE of 5,400 rpm and the iMatch 2018 program in the SSD, I would not be able to optimize the access speed, I think it would be much faster if the database and program were both in the SSD, what do you think?

If the most interesting option is that the database and the program are on the same HD SSD, it would automatically backup the database to the other disk and, occasionally, also to an external HD.

iMatch 2018 handles 95,500 photos, with 1,624 folders and the database has 2.07GB

I suppose iMatch 2018 will be able to work with much more!

KchoPrro

Mario

1. All your folders are off-line (IMatch does not find them anymore on your disk). This is normal when you have moved your files to another disk.
Use the Relocate command available for the drive F: and relocate everything to the new disk. If the drive letter is the same as before, relocate F: to F:.
This allows IMatch to find the files again.
Note: Make a backup of your database before. Just in case.

See https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#file_management.htm?dl=h-30 for details.

2. As explained under "Where to store your database" in the Database help topic your database should be on your fastest disk (SSD) for optimal performance.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

KchoPrro

Thank you very much for such a quick response, Mario!

I'm not worried that the files are not On-Line, it's normal, that HD is an external HD and it's not on. I also have 24 DVD's with photos that are not On-Line either. When I need access to them (on DVDs almost never), in the case of HD I connect it and, if OFF-Line still appears, then I relocate it (I do not think it will happen, the unit and letter of the unit is the same, I'm sure that as soon as I connect the HD iMatch it would show me on-line). With DVDs the same thing happens, I have been accumulating photos and, in those years, it was normal to save them on DVD. None of the 24 DVD's are online, but they connect online as soon as I put the DVD in the Reader (and, if it does not correspond to the letter of the unit, I relocate the location, it was something I had to do sometime in the past). As I am going to reinstall everything again, it will be something that I will worry about later.

Okay. Then I was on the right track, Data and Program in the fastest option, SSD.

In this case, I will schedule a task in my backup system so that I always leave a copy in the other HD, this way I will have the data safe, but iMatch will work on its faster options (now I appreciate it a lot, before the SSD only to start iMatch and load the almost 5GB of data lasted me many minutes, so I decided to format and put an SSD).

Thank you very much, Mario, question resolved!

KchoPrro