Configurable Timeline

Started by Darius1968, August 14, 2018, 07:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

To date, the latest version of IMatch 2018 has a timeline, in which the file is placed on the date, which IMatch itself feels is optimum.  This means that if I get some images from a friend, cousin, whatever, then I have to settle for fetching the image in the timeline, by the fully qualified date, which the camera stamps when the photo was taken.  If I want to be able to find it in the timeline, with respect to the date on which I added the image(s) to my database, I can''t.  Here, I have to rely on data driven categories to bring this about. 
I'm trying to get some votes that would allow the timeline to display the images by user-selected date variables/tags. 

Mario

This has been discussed in the past when I recall correctly.

All date-related features in IMatch use the same base date, which is derived (for images) from the created / digitized file time recoded in XMP.
There is no metadata tag which records the date and time when you added a file to your database (IMatch records that internally, but this is not part of any metadata standard).

The timeline is complex and expensive to build. It's so fast because everything is calculated and stored in advance. Re-creating the timeline when the user switches from the standard IMatch FileDateTime to, say, a virtual "Date the file was added to the database" can take a long time. Consider databases with 100,000 or even 500,000 files...

If you want you can create yourself a sort profile which sorts files by the special "Date and time (updated in database)" or "Date and time (last modified)".
Another easy solution for solving this specific problem would be a data-driven category with the {File.Updated} or {File.Modified} variable as the base. You can easily set the category to group files by year only, or by year/month or by year/month/day, whatever you need. This allows you to quickly pick files by the date you have added them, or last modified them in the database (last rescan etc.).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook