Changing location data in multiple files

Started by Mees Dekker, August 19, 2018, 01:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mees Dekker

I may overlook some help item, but could not find a solution to the following problem.

Several files have the same GPS data and therefore also the same data for country, city, and location. All fine, but afterwards I discovered a typo in the field for location. I selected all files that were effected, pushed the reverse-geocoding button and corrected the typo in the location field. Also checked the box for applying the changes to all selected files within a range of 15 meters. This should not be a problem, because all files have exactly the same GPS coordinates.

However: the corrected typo is only applied to the focused file, the other selected files are not corrected. I tried to write back metadata, but that did not change the behaviour. Am I overlooking something or is this a bug?

Mario

1. Why don't you just select the files and change the location name in the Metadata Panel?
2. Was the option "Only update empty fields" checked perhaps?
3. I think the option "to all nearby files" is applied during geo-coding, not when you do manual changes afterwards in the dialog to one or more files. I can look into this when I have some free time, later.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mees Dekker

Quote from: Mario on August 19, 2018, 01:08:30 PM
1. Why don't you just select the files and change the location name in the Metadata Panel?
I could do that of course, but I think it is more logical to be able to manage all geographical information in the map-panel
Quote from: Mario on August 19, 2018, 01:08:30 PM
2. Was the option "Only update empty fields" checked perhaps?
No, I specifically made sure that it was not checked
Quote from: Mario on August 19, 2018, 01:08:30 PM3. I think the option "to all nearby files" is applied during geo-coding, not when you do manual changes afterwards in the dialog to one or more files. I can look into this when I have some free time, later.
That would be nice

Mario

Until I have time to further analyze this I recommend you just update the data in the Metadata Panel.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mees Dekker

Great, no hurry.

This is rather an improvement than a bug. Work-arounds are available, lik you suggested or use the Geosetter app from the app-panel.