Do you manage PDF files in IMatch? Do you have files which don't produce...

Started by Mario, August 21, 2018, 08:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

... a usable thumbnail/preview?

If so, please send a sample to me.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

BanjoTom

I have a number of PDF files that DON'T produce a useful icon in the IMatch preview window, but when I copy them to the Desktop, they do.  For the record, I have FastPicture Viewer installed.

I've attached one such PDF (zipped) file to this post.  Thanks for any guidance you can provide!
— Tom, in Lexington, Kentucky, USA

Mario

Thanks, Tom.

I have tested this on a system with the FPV codecs installed (which include a WIC codec for PDF files) and the result I get in Windows Explorer and IMatch looks identical and not all that bad:

How does the document look on your system in IMatch?
When you select the file in a File Window and then do a Help menu > Support > WIC Diagnostics, is the file handled by the installed WIC codec?
On my system it reports:

Thumbnail: Codec 'Adobe XMP-Based PDF Thumbnail Provider (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)'
      () 256x136 pixel in 16 ms.
   Preview: Codec 'Adobe XMP-Based PDF Thumbnail Provider (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)'
      () 256x136 pixel in 0 ms.
   Full resolution: Codec 'Adobe XMP-Based PDF Thumbnail Provider (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)'
      () 256x136 pixel in 0 ms.

So it can pull at least a 256 pixel image from that file.
Which is not that good, but better than nothing.
That's why I'm looking for better, affordable, PDF support currently.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

BanjoTom

Mario, on my system the report from Help>Support>WIC Diagnostics includes these lines:
1. In the list of Codecs:
   "Codec 'Adobe XMP-Based PDF Thumbnail Provider (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .pdf

2. In the report for THIS image:
   WIC: Testing file 'E:\Old_From_C\DOXUMENTS\Liberty Road\To Shakertown Meadow View Barn.pdf'
   Thumbnail: Codec ''
      (CreateDecoderFromStream failed (88982F07 The image format is unknown.).) 0x0 pixel in 0 ms.
   Preview: Codec ''
      (CreateDecoderFromStream failed (88982F07 The image format is unknown.).) 0x0 pixel in 0 ms.
   Full resolution: Codec ''

WIC Result: It looks like no WIC codec is installed which can handle this file.

Most of the PDF files in my IMatch database do have a proper and helpful icon, but this file -- and a few more -- only show a basic PDF icon -- I've attached a small JPG that shows what I see in my IMatch Preview window. 

But as I noted, copying the file to my Windows desktop using the Windows clipboard DOES produce a proper icon with a small view of the file. 

Do I need to reinstall FastPictureViewer?  Or some other way to get better PDF support?
— Tom, in Lexington, Kentucky, USA

Mario

Maybe your FPV is older than mine?

If the WIC codec cannot extract an image from a PDF, IMatch falls back to request a thumbnail from Windows. And this thumbnail is then produced by whatever "PDF Thumbnail handler" is installed. If you can see a good thumbnail when you copy the file to your desktop, try this:

In Windows Explorer, in the original folder containing the PDF file, switch to the "large thumbnail" view.
Does the file show a valid thumbnail?
If so, select the file in IMatch and press Shift+Ctrl+F5, then "force rescan".
Sometimes the Windows thumbnail service is messed up or blocked and this procedure often helps.

Just one of the issues that are supposed to "just work" but don't.
WIC should be able to handle all RAW formats, as long as WIC codec is installed...nope.
The thumbnail services are support to work for all applications, but they don't. Sometimes they fail with the most obscure error messages.

Hence I try to get rid of as many external dependencies (especially when they are closed source or come from MS / Adobe / Apple / Nokia)...  :o ;)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator