Filter for Metadata which are not set

Started by grauschaf, August 14, 2018, 09:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grauschaf

I want to filter files without text in the Metadata field 'Headline' OR 'Description'. No problem do this in two seperate Filters (Value Filter). But I want to combine this in one Filter: Headline OR Description not set.

Does anyone has an idea? I'm quite sure IMatch is not the problem  ;)

Gerd

Mario

The individual filters in the Filter Panel are combined with the Boolean AND, they cannot work otherwise.
In your case, returning files without a headline and without a description.

For your specific problem (Finding files without a headline or description) I recommend using a simple category formula.

"@MetadataTag[headline,novalue]" OR "@MetadataTag[description,novalue]"

should do the trick. This collects all files without headline or description in a category of your choice.

Similar categories exist under the IMatch Workflow Categories top-level category. You could just combine the two categories "No Description" and "No Title" in the @Builder to get the result you want. But there is no pre-made category for "Headline" - because that tag is rarely used.

Note: Such formulas are relatively slow to calculate and you should put it under a (usually) collapsed parent category.
This avoids that the formula needs to be re-calculated every time you work with the category view or panel. See the "IMatch Workflow Categories" as examples.

Or, let the category update once and then select all files and assign them to another category directly. Then you can delete the formula category.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

grauschaf

Hi Mario

Thanks a lot for help. I tried the category formulas. Works very well. I'm not shure wether to use this Option or to create several filters because filters are working on the content of the file window. After importing raw files I provide them the metadata. They have no catgory at this moment. Anyway, my problem is solved  :)

Gerd

grauschaf

Hi Mario
I had a closer look on the category formulas and I'm excited. A lot of possibilities to optimize my workflow.
Thank you for your hint.

Gerd

Mario

IMatch is used by many different user types and in so many areas of work (not only photography!) and hence offers a wide range of functionality, in several layers.
Typically, users use maybe 40%-50% of what's there.  But if you run into a new management problem or task, usually there is already a feature in IMatch to handle it.

Spread the word! Let others know about IMatch.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook