RFC: Do You understand this dialog box?

Started by Mario, September 05, 2018, 11:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

See end of thread for the latest version of the dialog

IMatch Anywhere WebViewer 2018 (running in a web browser) will introduce a new feature which allows users to download files.
Not only the original file as before, but also resized versions, e.g. for sharing.

There are presets the Admin (or IMatch Anywhere maintainer) can create and which can include complex options like text overlays, watermarks and stuff.
But I want to enable the 'normal' user to create his/her own presets, e.g. when he/she needs a specific size fo Facebook, Instagram, a print service or whatever.

The key idea is to keep it simple, many of the users are normal people without any IMatch know-how or imaging know-how at all.

This is the current design of the download dialog when the user selects a user-defined preset.
Do you understand this dialog and find it well arranged?

Keep in mind that IMatch Anywhere WebViewer is used on many devices, from smart phones and tablets to 4K monitors. Screen estate is always an issue.
Not all devices support things like popup help or tooltips to explain dialog controls.
Of course there will be a section on this dialog in the IMatch Anywhere Help system, which explains all options. But only a few users ever read the help... ;D

This is the dialog when a pre-defined preset is selected. Most corporate/institutional users will limit this dialog to predefined presets only, not allowing users to create their own presets:

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mees Dekker

Mario

I think it would be better to clearly distinguish between making a new/modifying an existing preset and using a preset for downloading. Now the upper screenshot is apparently used for downloading and at the same time can be used for creating a new preset. This is a bit confusing imho.

So I would suggest  not to show a number of selected files in the upper picture/screenshot (making a new preset). The title could be : "Creating/modifying presets". "Select a preset to use" should then read: "Select a preset to modify or to use as a template for new preset"

Mario

The upper dialog shows a user preset. When you select it you can use it for downloading, and you can also edit it at the same time if you like.
I'm thinking about showing a button "Edit this preset" when a user preset is selected - and only display the additional controls after the user has clicked that button. This streamlines the process of just downloading files with a user preset.

Like this (User preset selected, but no controls are shown until the user clicks on the "Edit" pen):

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

I would like to suggest a 3rd option... show just the preset name like you have in your 2nd email.. but include a checkbox to "show details".  When the checkbox is selected - the settings for that preset show but they are all "greyed" out... that way, the user can review the setting from preset to preset.. if edit is disallowed, they can still see what the preset will do.

Looking good! - Andy.

Mario

Predefined presets are not for editing. They may contain many options for which there are no controls in this dialog (watermarks, sizing options, text overlays). It would only confuse the user.

These are for corporate or family use, where a user just wants to download "These images for Facebook".
It's up to the person who creates a preset to come up with a good name, e.g. "For HD TV", "For Printing", "2048 pixel on longest edge", "For Grandma".
No need for further details in the dialog.

Users only see the settings for their own presets, after they click on the Pen button. Which works as a toggle (show,hide).
The user can see the settings and may change them. Or just press Download.
Or edit the settings, click Download to get the results, change the settings, click Download, ...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

Quote from: Mario on September 05, 2018, 01:46:27 PM
Predefined presets are not for editing. They may contain many options for which there are no controls in this dialog (watermarks, sizing options, text overlays). It would only confuse the user.

These are for corporate or family use, where a user just wants to download "These images for Facebook".
It's up to the person who creates a preset to come up with a good name, e.g. "For HD TV", "For Printing", "2048 pixel on longest edge", "For Grandma".
No need for further details in the dialog.

Users only see the settings for their own presets, after they click on the Pen button. Which works as a toggle (show,hide).
The user can see the settings and may change them. Or just press Download.
Or edit the settings, click Download to get the results, change the settings, click Download, ...

I realize the preset are not for editing - but even as a user - I know I would always want to understand what that preset is all about before clicking it.  Months later - I might not remember what the "For Printing" settings really mean...

Mario

QuoteI might not remember what the "For Printing" settings really mean...

This is not yours to know. If this is a predefined preset your IT folks (or the IMatch Anywhere maintainer person) take care for it and will tell you which preset to to use and when.
Predefined Presets may contain settings you cannot even see, like watermarks, text overlays and suchlike. You can only use them 'as-is'.
This allows IT in commercial settings to provide their users with a controlled set of presets (e.g. with a mandatory copyright notice or corporate logo) which they can use. In most cases feature for user presets will be disabled.

If you manage your own IMatch WebViewer you can decide to allow only predefined presets. Or only user presets. Or no presets at all.
In that case, if the allowOriginalDownload option is off in the config.json, nothing can be downloaded at all.

If the user is allowed to create his own presets, he can of course always review their settings by clicking on the Edit/Pen icon.
Or use a proper name for the preset like "JPEG for Printing at 5 x 7" with 200 DPI".
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

Incorporating the feedback by Mees and Jingo (I wish a few more users would have commented) I now favor this design:

1. As before, presets defined by the Admin can only be used but not edited or reviewed.

2. When a user-defined preset is selected, an Edit button is displayed:

3. Clicking on that button opens the settings for this preset. For review and editing.

While trying to keep things simple (for the benefit of casual users and users without too much imaging know-how) these settings still cover what you usually need. For all else, there is still the IMatch Batch Processor or a predefined preset can be created by somebody with deeper IMatch know-how.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jch2103

Looks reasonable (without the benefit of actual hands-on use).

I assume for presets defined by the Admin, neither the pencil (edit?) icon nor the 'New Preset' button will be visible to users?
John

Mario

Quote from: jch2103 on September 06, 2018, 09:08:07 PM
I assume for presets defined by the Admin, neither the pencil (edit?) icon nor the 'New Preset' button will be visible to users?

The Pencil is only shown for user-defined preset.
If users can create their own presets is controlled via a new setting in the config.json.

If the Admin does not create presets and user-presets are also not allowed, the already existing option "allowOriginalDownload" controls whether or not any download features are visible. If this setting is also false, all download-related features vanish from IMatch WebViewer. This provides a lot of functionality.

In "home" settings the Admin may not bother for presets and just allow users to download Original files or create their own presets.
In corporate/institutional contexts the Admin/maintainer typically creates a range of presets and disallows Original download and user-presets. This gives fine control over which formats and sizes are available for download and allows the Admin to enforce requirements like watermarks or copyright overlays.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator