Quick View / Viewer Performance Tips

Started by J.D. McDowell, October 19, 2018, 11:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.D. McDowell

In general I'm very happy with the way which iMatch performs. The database and cache files are on a SSD, everything is pretty quick.

I have noticed however that it's slower to load images from my D800 than my D700, even slower again with D850 files, I'm thinking it's the size of the images that's the problem. I was wondering if there are any tips regarding settings for the cache files that may speed this up a bit. I've read a number of the posts regarding this in the forum, but many of these seem to be about prior versions, many of those settings aren't there in the 2018 version.

Cache files are set to default working mode and 100%.

Once the image loads zooming is instantaneous, it's just a bit sluggish when switching from one image to the next (particularly if I'm clicking quickly through a bunch.) When it's slow it's still only 1 - 2 seconds to load an image, it would just be nice to speed that up a bit.

I use the Quick View panel more than the Viewer, I find the speed in both is about the same.

Mario

Windows WIC loads JPEG files from the cache usually in less than 0.5s. Color-management and loading the image into the graphic card also takes maybe 0.5s. IMatch does that in the background, preloading files into the in-memory cache. Unless you scroll faster than WIC/DirectX can process your files you should not notice a delay. D850 files are not so large, I usually test this with 80MP files (10,000 x 8000 pixels).

What kind of system are you using?
What kind of card?
All drivers up-to-date?
Virus checker leaving IMatch and the cache images alone?

Tip: Always produce a log file in debug mode and attach it with this kind of posts.
This would tell us some important details, e.g. how long IMatch needs to load a file from the cache, how much memory your system has, if there are any warnings or errors reported, ...
See log file for more info.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook