HELP NEEDED - Camera Database

Started by Mario, April 25, 2018, 12:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jingo

Quote from: Mario on May 09, 2018, 09:03:27 AM
Camera vendors often name cameras differently in different countries. To obfuscate things or to justify different prices for the same hardware  >:(
Hence my approach of "Users will fill the database from their camera models over time" approach. The only that will work. IMatch is used in almost 70 countries...

hmm.. got me thinking... there should be a way to write an app that gathers this info from each users DB, exports a JSON or similar file, connects to a server and dumps this info to be read into a central database by software on your end?  Users click a button (after acknowledging they will be sharing data) and off it goes... or do you not want to go down this path for privacy concerns?

Mario

This is not really needed. The new Map Panel handles all this. No need to scan the entire database and then upload data to somewhere. This probably makes many users suspicious  :D

The first time an image from an unknown camera is detected, the cameradb service on my server records this (I will see info about new unknown cameras in the daily cleanup protocol my systems produce).

The user will be informed by the Map Panel with a form. He can either fill in the info (and optionally send me an email with the make/model/crop) or just accept a crop of 1 for that session.
The user will not be prompted again in the same session. Once I have updated the camera database, the correct info will be used for all images taken with that camera.

I could also make a page where users can check for their make/mode and then either get an "OK" or a "please fill in crop factor". But I think having it in the map panel will be sufficient. And the Map panel also knows the proper make/model strings.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

So the new Imatch will require an active internet connection when using the Map panel to connect to your DB?  What happens if your service is down or the user is trying to update 200 images from different cameras in the map panel... will this slow things down on the user end?  Just thinking out loud...

Mario

QuoteSo the new Imatch will require an active internet connection when using the Map panel to connect to your DB?

The Map Panel always requires an active Internet connection. The maps are loaded from the Internet (OSM, Bing, Google).
Without an Internet connection none of the maps can work. They all download contents dynamically.

Quoteuser is trying to update 200 images from different cameras in the map panel... will this slow things down on the user end?  Just thinking out loud..

I would consider this scenario to be quite unlikely.

+ The camera data is only needed for files for which the user displays a FOV.
+ By default, FOVs are off. And in most cases it makes only sense to display the FOV for the focused file.
+ The Map Panel caches camera data locally so each camera needs to be looked up only once.
+ The lookup is asynchronous, it does not block the map panel. For files with yet unknown camera data, the Map Panel assumes a crop factor of 1 when it has to display the FOV. Once the data has been loaded in the background, the FOV polygon is updated based on the actual crop factor.
+  The typical roundtrip time to lookup a camera and download the info is 90ms.
+ There is a lot of optimization potential  for this. I just don't want to spend more time on this until it becomes a problem.
+ There is also the option to download the entire camera database and cache it locally. Easy to do, takes only a few hundred KB.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

nacho02

Quote from: Mario on May 05, 2018, 08:52:51 AM
What is the make and the model (exactly) as returned by the variables?

Is the make NIKON? Is the model name "E885" or "NIKON E885" or "E885 (from 2002)" or "NIKON E885 (from 2002)"?

My apologies Mario! I did not see your question, only just now...

Make: NIKON
Model: E885
Camera Name: NIKON E885

I hope this helps.
Ignacio

Mario

This is all an automated process now. If your camera is not already in the database, the Map Panel will tell you when you switch on the FOV display.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

nacho02

Thanks, I've seen it :_) Great stuff!

I'm surprised that it's missing the iPhone8 plus. I cannot be the only one with this phone ;-)

My guess is that it's not simple to get that information, plu the fact that the phone has 2 cameras, with two different sensors. Can this be the problem?

FOr the iPhone7 plus:

iPhone 7 Plus main sensor = 3.99mm x (7.21?) = 28.7679mm, very close to Apple's claimed 28mm.

iPhone 7 Plus telephoto sensor = 6.6mm x (8.6?) = 56.8mm, very close to the claimed 56mm as well. For a 1/3.6in sensor, the crop factor is 8.6.

From here: https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/52bxua/the_iphone_7_plus_sensor_sizes_are_13in_for_the/

Thanks!
Ignacio

Mario

Please use the official method (via the email generated by the Map panel) to send me this info.
I don't collect this data from forum posts.

I think already have several iPhones in the database, but Apple ships them with different names/spellngs apparently so they not always match.
Just follow the instructions in the Map Panel popup and my system processes the data automatically.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator