The ECP compared to ExifTool direct

Started by Whaler, October 26, 2018, 04:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whaler

To find photos that have incorrect photoshop Subject Created Date I use the following script:
-label="Wrong Time Stamp" -if "$XMP:DateCreated ne $XMP:DateTimeDigitized"

Using the ExifTool Direct within ExifTool GUI I can successfully label all the photos that have the incorrect photoshop date and time. IMatch immediately picks up the changes to the label and I can easily find the photos in the catagories panel.

Ideally I would like to apply the same script from within IMatch using the ECP but for the life of me I haven't figured a way to do it.
Being able to do it from within IMatch would enable me to work with selections I have currently open in IMatch and would also eliminate a few workflow steps.

My question is if it's even possible and more importantly how the ECP differs from ExifTool direct?

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Mario

You must use ARG file syntax, not command line syntax. Each command goes into its own line etc.

Tip: You could do the same with an easy IMatch Metadata Template. For example, using a variable like

{File.MD.XMP::xmp\CreateDate\CreateDate|strcomp:{File.MD.XMP::photoshop\DateCreated\DateCreated},Wrong Time Stamp,{File.MD.label},Wrong Time Stamp}

See Formatting Functions for details.

This variable returns the label stored in the file, except when the two dates are different (less or greater), then it returns "Wrong Time Stamp". Use this in the template to set the label to get the same effect. Without the need to run ExifTool or to write-back the file to set the label.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Whaler

Thanks, that's exactly how I had hoped to do it.

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Whaler

Thanks again Mario.
I have been overwhelmed (in a good way) by the potential IMatch offers. Right now I'm just playing around with a subset of my photos as I work out the best way to capitalize on the potential to suit my preferred workflow.  It seems every time I figure out some new component of IMatch I can think of a dozen ways to utilize it.

Sometimes it feels I've gone down the rabbit hole and I'm really enjoying it.

Mario

Welcome!
You've reached the territory of what I call 'true digital asset management'.

IMatch has layers over layers of features, there for you to explore and use.
I'm sure many users use only the most basic features (telemetry will tell me soon, I hope) and that's perfectly OK.
But there is usually a solution/feature in IMatch for all the metadata- or DAM-related problems users face now or may in the future.

There is a difference between the basic "file management" included in some RAW processors and a real flexible DAM like IMatch.
Many users recognize what they have been missing only when they finally switch to a real DAM.

Some pay thousands of dollars for that per year. Smarter folks just use IMatch  ;)

If you like IMatch - SPREAD THE WORD.
That's the best marketing. And the only I can afford  :(
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator