Attribute panel (single mode) search order according to file view search order

Started by akirot, October 29, 2018, 09:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akirot

The attribute panel (single mode) sorts the displayed lines (of the selected files) according to a selected column/attribute.
This is independent of the currently selected sort order of the file view.
Can the sort order be aligned with the sort order of the file view (especially in [custom] sort) please?
Or is there already an option I'm not aware of ;-) ?

Mario

The Attribute panel can display multiple rows for a single file, single rows for multiple files., multiple rows for multiple files etc. This is all totally unrelated of the sort order currently visible in the file window, it depends only on the Attributes stored for the selected files and whether you use the single or merge mode.
The order in which the Attributes appear depends on the column you click.

I assume you mean that you want to sort the Attributes in Single mode (when the Attributes Panel displays the data for each selected file separately, with the file name in the first column) not by the clicked column but somehow apply the sort profile currently selected in the file window?

Who would need that and why? By default the data is stored by file name in ascending order, making it quite easy to locate the data for a specific file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

akirot

Your assumption is right.

One of my uses is preparing speakernotes (stored in attributes) for lectures, also storyboards.
As long as the filewindow is not sorted by filename it's totally irritating when the attribute table ist not sorted according to the current file window sort order. You don't know what's in the next or previous image attribute and loose context.
As far as I'm concerned showing lines for multiple selected images according to the same sort order as the file window should be the default.

Mario

This would be pretty complicated to implement, unfortunately.

The grid in the Attribute panel is based on 3rd party library. Sorting can be managed by the application, but only on a row-by-row basis. There is no way to maintain the initial sort order (which is the same as in the file window), the grid reorders the items by the last clicked column header.

Doable but probably at least a day of work. And then continuous maintenance and checking if the sort implementation of the 3rd party UX library changes.

Let's see if this FR gets a few more +1 from other users.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

akirot