Is there a way to change the height of the panes in the keywords panel

Started by greg, November 07, 2018, 02:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

The area of the keywords panel that shows the keywords hierarchy is divided into multiple panes. I'm looking for a way to increase the height of the panes so they won't have to be scrolled when the list gets too long. I could have missed the setting in preferences.

Mario

You can change the height via the mouse. Point at the separators between the panels and drag. The cursor changes to an up/down resize arrow to indicate where you can drag.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

greg

Hi Mario, Here's a picture of the area that I was talking about. I haven't seen that kind of cursor control in this area. These panes automatically set horizontal size, but the vertical size seems to be limited. I notice this most with panes to the right that have many entries.

Mario

You are trying the resize the thesaurus control vertically?
The horizontal size is adjusted automatically.

By the looks of it, you already did enlarge it a lot! The default height for this is about 10 rows of text.
You cannot change the size of the synonym area at the bottom, it is scaled 25% of the height of the thesaurus - if this is what you mean.

I'm not quite sure that I understand what you are trying to do.
When I maximize the Keyword Panel to fill the entire screen height I can fit about 40 rows of entries. And I can pull the height even further, but then I would have to scroll up and down.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

greg

Yes, I would like to resize this area to reduce scrolling. I have one lower level category of the thesaurus that has about 80 entries. On my screen I can only fit 28 entries into the vertical height. Since I use the check boxes of this area to enter keywords this often causes me to scroll more than I would like.

Mario

Have you docked the Keyword Panel to one of the sides?
Have you maximized it to get the full height of the workspace?

I doubt that you can fit 80 rows of entries on a normal monitor. I use 4K monitors and not even they can display that amount of data.

+ You know that you can add frequently used keywords to your the favorites panel in the KW panel?
+ That the keyword panel makes suggestions from your thesaurus when you start typing?
+ That you can create Favorites which add one or more keywords, even via a keyboard shortcut?
+ That you can assign keywords also from the Category Panel (@Keywords Category) and that the Category Panel allows you to add additional tabs, with sub-trees of your category hierarchy? This makes it quite easy to split deep hierarchies into manageable levels.

This is about as large as it gets on my 4K monitor: I could shrink the keyword list and the Recent/... panel further to squeeze out a few more rows.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

greg

Thanks for the suggestions Mario. Since I don't use synonyms just removing this from the view helped significantly. I wasn't using favorites before, but I see how this can make common selections much faster.

I'm spending quite a bit of time in IMatch at the moment, so I went back and optimized my configuration of panels and file window layouts across two monitors. I really appreciate the great flexibility in configuring IMatch. It just takes some to time to appreciate all the possibilities. I'm running my 4K monitor at 150% so font size is readable. The other monitor is 2560x1440 so I have a fair amount of screen to work with.