Compact two row icon option in Grid layout

Started by greg, November 08, 2018, 05:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Show icons takes a great deal of horizontal space in the Grid layout. If using a thumbnail in Grid view there's likely enough space for two rows of icons. This would be a nice option. The main reason I need icons is just for the unwritten metadata pencil so another alternative would be just to have a compact version of icons with the unwritten metadata pencil.

jch2103

Doesn't Collections/Pending Metadata Write-back provide this function?
John

greg

I don't see that function in the layout editor either directly as an attribute or in the metadata tags. Could you explain how to put this in a Grid column so that the write-back pending state can be seen and a write-back can be initiated? Were you referring to the icons collection, which is quite sizable for just the metadata write-back pen?

Mario

Maybe hide all icons and use a custom template column which shows a "W" if the file needs write-back?

Or maybe we solve this once app-based File Window layouts become available. This technology is already in IMatch, but not quite finished / documented yet.
But File Window layouts which are rendered in HTML offer a whole lot of new ways to display files and data. And can be changed in the matter of seconds!
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

greg

Hi Mario, App based file windows sound like an interesting functionality.

Mario

Quote from: greg on November 08, 2018, 08:24:23 PM
Hi Mario, App based file windows sound like an interesting functionality.

It is. I explained about it several times here in the community. Although I doubt that many users will ever write a File Window app. But it allows me to produce specialized layouts more easily, from galleries to special views for media and video to a full-screen pin board view (like the Pinboar app). Or may an "Design your own file window layout with drag & drop" feature.

Tip: The variable {File.MetadataModified} returns "yes" when the file has pending write-back, else "no". Easy to use in a custom template column.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Quote from: greg on November 08, 2018, 08:13:01 PM
I don't see that function in the layout editor either directly as an attribute or in the metadata tags. Could you explain how to put this in a Grid column so that the write-back pending state can be seen and a write-back can be initiated? Were you referring to the icons collection, which is quite sizable for just the metadata write-back pen?

If you choose Collections/Pending Metadata Write-back and use the 'Thumbs small with icons' file layout, you'll have a grid of images that show the pending write icon. Is that what you need?
John

greg

Quote from: Mario on November 08, 2018, 08:45:55 PM
Tip: The variable {File.MetadataModified} returns "yes" when the file has pending write-back, else "no". Easy to use in a custom template column.

Custom template takes care of it: {File.MetadataModified|Replace:No==}
Then ctl-alt-s to initiate write-back.
Thanks for the hint.