Two SSD's and IMATCH?

Started by kiwilink, December 16, 2018, 09:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwilink

I have an I7 Desktop (32GB Memory, Windows 10 Pro) running IMATCH on my 512 Samsung SSD drive.  My IMATCH files and .IMD5 database are stored on this 512 SSD.  My IMD5 file is 3,753,240KB.  I have attached my last Pack&Go result so you can see where all my files are stored.

I have 94,000 images in my database.  My images are stored on a 1TB removable disk drive (I'm using 731GB of it that make up my images).  Nothing else is on this removable 1TB drive.

I have a second 256 SSD with nothing on it.  If I dedicated this 256 SSD drive to IMATCH what files should I put on it and would it make my IMATCH faster?  My IMATCH runs really great so I have no performance issues but I thought I should ask just in case there is something I could put on the extra SSD that would make it even faster.  Just curious.

Thanks!

Kiwilink

P.S.  I asked this question on October 05, 2016, 03:00:56 PM but I don't think I explained myself very well so I thought rather than reply to the older message I would start a new one.

Mario

Your setup is good. The only thing you could move would be the database. But unless the other SSD is noticeably faster, you won't gain anything.
There might be a minimal gain (not worth it IMHO) to move the IMatch cache folder to the second SSD. I would not do it.

I manage a 400,000 files database on a SSD and it just rocks.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kiwilink

Mario

OK!  Thanks for the reply.  I will leave everything as is.  My IMATCH is working great.  I was just checking.  Thanks a lot!

Kiwilink

Carlo Didier

My setup is similar. i7, 16GB RAM laptop with Win10 Pro and all applications, including iMatch on a 512GB SSD and most of my images on a 2TB SSD (internal!). Good performance on a 5GB database with ~104000 images.

The system SSD is an M.2 format, but not the fastest. There are significant differences. Mine has around 400-500MB/s transfer rates, but there are M.2 SVMe SSDs which are 7-10 times faster, at a higher price of course. That would surely make a difference, but do you really need that?

Mario

These 3GB/sec SSDs are mostly designed for workstation and server usage.

The Windows file system cache plays a much more important role, because if the database is cached in-memory, it will be even faster than SSD. IMatch also does a lot of caching.

Notebook processors and I/O are of course always a bit slower than what we have on workstation or server systems. The hardware in notebooks must be small, low-power etc.
For DAM systems with 100,000+ files, most 'big' vendors recommend dedicated server hardware when installed on-site  :D
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook