An easy way to change the z-order in D&P

Started by sinus, December 18, 2018, 07:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hi Mario
I have a Design&Print-Template with a lot of containers (what works really VERY good).

Normally I do change the z-order with the "up-down"-keys (attachement 1).

I know, there is the possibility with the arrows (attachement 2), but I have a LOT of containers, hence it it almost not possible to click on the right ones.

Now I have a simple question, I have to reorder all containers, what means with "up-down" a lot of clicks, really.

Is there an easy way to do this?
I have looked into the xml-template with "Visual Studio Code" but did not find a way.
With say 20 containers this is not a problem, but with roughly 200 it is not that easy.

I guess, there is no way, but I though, it is worth a question.  ;D
If it is not possible, no problem.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

I'm not sure that I can follow...

You can change the order in the list IMatch displays when you click on the page (Use Alt+U or Alt+D to use the keyboard instead of the mouse).
You can change the Z-order of containers using F,B,T,W hotkeys.
You can change the Z-order interactively after pressing Ctrl+I and then click on the containers in the order in which you want to arrange them.

What, precisely, is what you want to do?
Please note than maybe you are the only person in the entire world having 200 containers in D&P on a page. I guess most users get by nicely with 1 to 10 containers per page.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on December 18, 2018, 08:53:02 PM
What, precisely, is what you want to do?
Please note than maybe you are the only person in the entire world having 200 containers in D&P on a page. I guess most users get by nicely with 1 to 10 containers per page.

You are correct! The only person in the entire world sounds nice!  ;D
Other persons does not make stuff like me with D&P  8) like timelines or bills, where each position has its own image.
Also of course a kind of gimmick.

It is like I had a list with 200 numbers:

And I want to change this list to

This means in D&P click on each position and click 200 times for each position and take care, that is is correct.
And this take a long time.
Normally this sort-order does not matter, but for some hidden operations it seems to be important, in which order this list is (for example for variables like {Print.File.HasNext})

But no problem, I will look into this again and write again, if I find another way or if I can solve it with another way.

Thanks for your input!

Markus

Mario

There is no feature to reverse the Z-Order. This is not a really common task.
Can you not switch with Ctrl+L and then click the containers in the order in which you want them? This means 200 clicks to reorder 200 containers, which is O(1) and hence as good as it can get (unless there would be a dedicated feature that reverses the order of containers, but how many users will ever need that)?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on December 19, 2018, 08:55:50 AM
There is no feature to reverse the Z-Order. This is not a really common task.
Can you not switch with Ctrl+L and then click the containers in the order in which you want them? This means 200 clicks to reorder 200 containers, which is O(1) and hence as good as it can get (unless there would be a dedicated feature that reverses the order of containers, but how many users will ever need that)?

Thanks, Mario
You are correct, I doubt, that another user will use this.  8)
I will try again, the problem with Ctrl+L is the "mess" with this lot of containers, it is hard to click on the correct container.

Butl I will try again! Thanks for your input!
Markus

Mario

The list in the document, the keyboard shortcut and menu commands and the interactive feature with Ctrl+L is all there is.

I think that's plenty of features and very comfortable. Unless you have 200 containers and want to swap their order.
But that is most likely a problem not many users will ever have.
Design & Print is one of the less used features in IMatch, based on telemetry data.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator