Filters and File Layouts

Started by stephock, January 06, 2019, 04:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephock

Does anybody know whether it is possible to include a saved filter state with a file-window layout? For instance, I have a saved filter state to hide the place markers of protected files so that they do not show in the file window. At the moment, I have to select the scope and then activate the filter - I'd like to be able to select a layout that includes the filter immediately instead of first displaying the place markers and then hiding them.

Mario

There is no such feature. The Filter Panel works independently from whatever File Window is currently active.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

stephock

Thanks, Mario. I'll just try to remember to set the filter first!

Mario

The color of the File Window toolbar changes so you always know when a filter is active.
I don't know what a place marker is but can you not just create a file window layout which does not show that info at all?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

stephock

Sorry. A place marker would be a 'hidden' or 'masked' thumbnail, where all that is seen is the white-shield of a protected file. Viewers always want to know what is hidden behind it. if I could remember to activate the filter to hide these before calling the files, my problem disappears. If I could remember...

Mario

Hm, I guess that's a rather peculiar problem. Why not assign all 'presentable' files to a temporary category before and then use that?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Quote from: Mario on January 06, 2019, 08:45:53 PM
Hm, I guess that's a rather peculiar problem. Why not assign all 'presentable' files to a temporary category before and then use that?

I think, it is like stephock wrote: "it it as think of remembering".

I have also spotted this problem.
A shield (for protected files) is very nice ... without doubt and almost certainly a visitor (another user) gets interested in what's behind the sign. That's human.
And often the questions come almost automatically and unerringly :-)

But to ALWAYS think about hiding these - however - sign icons from the visitor during a visit, this is very difficult.
Forgetting is also human.

The one who has such hidden pictures doesn't need a shield icon to see that this picture is "secret".

Therefore it would be an interesting alternative if you could hide this icon with another "picture".
For example, if there were a harmless landscape, no one would come up with the idea of asking big questions.

The owner, however, would know exactly that another picture (the secret one)  would be behind this picture.
So that the same picture would not always appear, it would be interesting if you could either choose your own pictures as placeholders (that would be the luxury variant) or if you could choose one from some IMatch pictures.

I also see the "problem" like stephock, but it's not so acute that I would have to make a feature request (maybe there would be better ideas besides my idea).
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

Feel free to add a feature request. I doubt that many users will ever have this kind of problem.

It can be easily solved by using IMatch categories which don't include the protected files.
You can create these categories manually, basically a curated album. That has also other advantages, like custom sort orders etc.

Or you create them with a simple formula which combines a @Folder formula to get all files from that folder but then excludes all files in the Protected Files collection.
Something like

"@Folder[file://D:/images/beach/]" NOT "@Collection[ProtectedFiles]"

This category then dynamically contains all files from "d:\images\beach", except protected files.

Then you only need to remember not using the folders for presentations but the categories.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

what concerns me is how i wrote it: "but it's not so acute that I would have to make a feature request"

And as stephock had written: it's probably the thing that you don't forget to remove the hidden pictures before showing them.
And, of course, there are many ways hiding such pictures before viewing, like you pointed out, Mario.
The weakest thing of all is human.  8)

I also don't think many users have that problem either, that's something you probably know best thanks to telemetry (btw: it would be cool to see some stuff of it again, like you showed us end of last year).
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus