Full-text search?

Started by Buster, September 16, 2013, 09:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buster

I miss a full-text-search option (to search text in metadata, for filenames, categories and keywords). Is it planned?
---
Best wishes,
Reiner

Ferdinand

Richard

QuoteThe file window toolbar contains a search bar which works similarly to the search bar in Windows Explorer on Windows Vista or later versions of Windows - with some extra features of course. This box accesses the IMatch Search Engine and the full-text index it maintains for the metadata stored in your files.

You can either click into the search bar or press Ctrl+F to activate the search box.

Mammut

+1

At least the search edit box above the file browser is not working well.
If I select a tag in the Metadata Panel and select the "Find all files with this value" command, it's working, I get another "Search Results" tab with the correct results.
But if I write that value in the search edit box it can't find it, the result is usually 0 file.*
It would be great if we can get that search result tab with a simple search edit box.

*edit: okay, it's filtering the actual category, and I always forget to change the categories to @All, but even if I do, it can't find the correct results, only if I search in the basic iptc ranges, like title or keyword. But if I search for an MWG tag, it can't find it, but the "Find all files with this value" option can.

Mario

IMatch uses an internal search engine. Please lookup the topic in the help for a full explanation of the available options.

The Search engine supports a specific syntax and performs word-based searches. This allows it to search massive amounts of data very fast.
To keep up that speed, the Search engine does not index all 13,000 possible metadata tags, but only selected tags.
Middle word searches and similar are not supported. Check the IMatch help for usage instructions and examples.

The Search Engine is used for the filter bar above the file window and also for the Metadata Panel searches and the Value filter.

If you need to search the entire database because your search term is not supported by the search engine syntax, use the Metadata Search filter. It searches all metadata and has a lot of options. It's much slower than search-engine based searches.

Like filters, the search bar above the file window searches the current contents of the file file (the 'scope').

To find all help topics related to the search engine and the File Window search bar, just type search in the help index.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mammut

I tried the Metadata search filter it doesn't work either. It only works if I select the "Selected Tags" in the combo list, and add exactly that tag where it needs to be found. But if I select Everywhere or Tag groups (and only select the right group), it doesn't work, I waited minutes but nothing, 0 result.*

*edit: and the results are get stuck. If I change the combo list to "Selected Tags", IMatch find the correct images. Okay, then I switch back to "Everywhere" and the correct results are still there. Okay, but now I change the search term to another word. The result is the same as the first result, so it doesn't changed, it gets stuck.

Of course if I switch to Selected Tags again, it finds the correct images right away again.

And it's not slow at all! I get the results right away with middle word search! Okay, if Everywhere would work it should be slower, true. But it's not working.

Mario

Works here.

Just tried:

Search method: Contains
Where: Everywhee
Search term: studio

7210 files found in my database of 35,000 files.

Which search mode did you use? Note: If you use Search Engine mode, you are again restricted to the tags the search engine has indexed, and the syntax the search engine uses.

Please show me what you use for you search (screen shot).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Buster

@mario: Maybe I'm blind, but where the hell can I define a search like you did?
---
Best wishes,
Reiner

Mario

Open the Filter Panel (View menu > Panels > Filter Panel) or press <F9> followed by <L>.

If the Metadata Search panel is not displayed in the Filter Panel, enable it via the drop-down menu (Gear button) in the Filter Panel toolbar.

See the IMatch help for Filters (press <F1> while the Filter Panel is the active panel.

[attachment deleted by admin]
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Buster

Thanks a lot - works fine! Now I'm looking forward for the first alpha!
---
Best wishes,
Reiner

Mario

We are already in Beta test. The Alpha test came before that, and I'm glad that I have that behind me  :)

If all bad bugs are solved and the test users here are satisfied with what we've reached, IMatch 5 will be released officially and users can buy and upgrade.

Then the normal product cycle begins, where users report bugs, ideas, feature requests and I work on them.
IMatch 5 uses an agile development model which means that I will ship updates quite often. Not about every week like in the Beta test but maybe every four to eight weeks. This will make new features available quickly.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Buster

sorry, I mixed it up. You're perfectly right. An alpha-dog is the leading one. :):)
So I'm looking forward to the first full version. Correct?
---
Best wishes,
Reiner

Mario

QuoteSo I'm looking forward to the first full version. Correct?

Exactly!

I'm working real hard to reach that target. And hopefully all testers keep testing and reporting bugs, issues, questions, suggestions, complaints, ideas, ...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Buster

On that you can be sure. We will do so. :)
---
Best wishes,
Reiner

sinus

Quote from: Mario on September 16, 2013, 03:14:23 PM
QuoteSo I'm looking forward to the first full version. Correct?

Exactly!

I'm working real hard to reach that target. And hopefully all testers keep testing and reporting bugs, issues, questions, suggestions, complaints, ideas, ...

We do, we do!  :)

It is astonishing, how many things you can do (mails, forum, facebook (I hesitate to use it), Helpfiles, phones, and well sometimes also coding  ;D )
Thanks, Mario
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus