Crashing on closing - warning on Diagnostics

Started by AlanS, January 20, 2019, 11:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanS

Hi,

last week I got a new motherboard and c: drive which meant a new clean installation of windows.

I reinstalled IMatch and opened my existing database. I was having issues with TIFF files created by ON1 PhotoRaw. I hoped the new installation would solve this problem, it didn't.

I did a test with making a new database with just one directory. everything worked fine. the problem Tiff files in this directory appeared correctly.

I next tried making a new database with all 83k files (most are NEF's). This all seemed to go well until the end (a day + later). the adding/updating dialogue froze.

I ran Database Diagnostics and it said there were no errors but 1 warning. If I ran Data Diagnostics again I got the same messages. The log file does not appear to show me what the warning is.

When I close Imatch I got the attached crash message. I did this twice and had the same outcome. Imatch hung for about 5 minutes at closing before the crash message.

Any ideas what I could try?

Cheers,
Alan

Mario

I see the warning in the counter at the end of the diagnosis log file, but not where it comes from. This would mean that the diagnosis increments the warning counter but does not log the reason why. A first review of the code did not reveal anything. Every code segment which increases the warning counter also logs a reason.

I would need your database for a deeper analysis. Please upload to your cloud space (Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, ...) and send me an email with the link to support email address. Include a link to this topic or the number 8734 in your email so I can link this. I get 50 emails per day and this helps a lot.

QuoteI was having issues with TIFF files created by ON1 PhotoRaw

What issues? Error messages? Files not added to the database? Thumbnails not showing? Metadata errors? Warnings from ExifTool about invalid metadata?
Do you have a WIC codec installed which processes TIFF files? Select one of the 'problem' TIFF files in a file Window and then go to Help menu > Support > WIC Diagnostics. Attach the result to your reply.

Unfortunately we cannot see the log file from the session where IMatch froze. Processing 80k+ NEF file is usually not an issue. I do that often when I re-create test databases. Unless there is a problem with the WIC codec installed on your system and it causes problems when processing 80k files in one go. Of course errors in NEF files are not uncommon but too many in one session may cause unrecoverable errors in a WIC codec.
Please also show a WIC diagnostics log file from your NEF files so we know which codecs you use.

The built-in NEF WIC codecs in Windows and the FPV codecs sometimes run into trouble when too many damaged NEF files are processed in one session. The log file of that session would tell us more, but it is unfortunately not longer available I guess. Closing and re-opening IMatch after every 20K files or so reduces this problem because this will also "release" the WIC codec and all allocated memory resources.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook