Metadata Working Group

Started by photomy, February 15, 2019, 07:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

photomy

I see this group referenced by Mario and others.  A few articles about when an how they were formed - Microsoft, Adobe, Canon, etc.  I cannot get their website link to work and amazingly few other links when searching on internet.  Does this organization still exist and do they not publish or at least list information related to their recommendations?

Thanks if anyone knows.

Mario

Maybe they have closed it.
Neither Microsoft nor Adobe ever followed their own rules (both leading partners in the MWG) so this may have been just another markerting vehicle. This was many years ago and things change fast.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

photomy

Mario

This may be. Thanks for sharing the link. I'm aware of this project.

I'm open to anything, as long as their is some standard users can rely on for the years to come.
I see things from a DAM perspective. And this means no marketing fuzz, reliability, longevity and a long time horizon  ;)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Quote from: Mario on February 15, 2019, 08:47:04 PM
I'm open to anything, as long as their is some standard users can rely on for the years to come.
I see things from a DAM perspective. And this means no marketing fuzz, reliability, longevity and a long time horizon  ;)

Agreed. Unfortunately, this group doesn't seem to be very active either, based on their website blog entries, the most recent of which is from 2013...  :(
John

ben

I checked the MWG website a couple of times within the last months, since it was mentioned in this community several times.

To me it seems like this project is dead, because:
  - Win10 doesn't seem to follow these rules
  - It's hard to find links directing to MWG

I think that we are quite save with how iMatch handles the metadata.
But i also think, that there might be some new rules in the future. And iMatch will have to update our metadata accordingly.

Just my thoughts...

jch2103

Quote from: ben on February 15, 2019, 09:13:01 PM
I think that we are quite save with how iMatch handles the metadata.
But i also think, that there might be some new rules in the future. And iMatch will have to update our metadata accordingly.

I do think our metadata is as safe as it could be with Imatch (and ExifTool). I suspect, however, that rather than new rules in the future we can expect no rules (or more incompatible approaches from each actor in the media scene). It seems none of the players want to be constrained in what they do...
John