Need help for file relations

Started by frlindla, March 09, 2019, 12:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frlindla

A screenshot is Attached. I have a lot of dng-files and cr2-files. But also a lot of jpg-files (not versions from a raw-file). I am going to process the dng-files and cr2-files in DxO and then export jpg-files. I want these jpg-files to be Visual proxies. When I test my definitions the master filename doesn`t match but the Version filename match. As you can see in my screenshot, the versioningtab is grey/not available.

Can you help me how to set this up?

Mario

The file relation in the screen shot is a Buddy relation (note the B in front of the name).
This is the reason why the Version options are not available.

Buddy relations allow you to tell IMatch which files to keep together when you move, copy, rename or delete the master.
To use version features like metadata propagation or stacks, setup a version rule with the same options.

You can have separate relations for CR2 and DNG files, or you can make both CR2 and DNG masters (just extend the pattern used to identify the master file) and use one relation for both.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

frlindla

Thank you. The Attached file shows that I have created several Version definitions. I have set up the exif timestamp to find matching files.

Have I done it right? Is it ok With one definition for each filetype?

What I think this will do for me: for each definition it will find related files taken within 2 Seconds of the master. Right?

On the versioning-tab I set it up to propagate almost all, but not exif-data and the ones With warnings. For the jpeg-versioning I set the use: as Visual, for printing and for email.

What about cr2-files and dng-files? What is typical use for these files? For example, I have a lot of cr2-files and dng-files which not yet have Versions.

I Guess it is easy to change the file relations later if something goes wrong here?

Mario

Matching versions by timestamp is very unusual.

Usually you will always use file names to match versions and masters.
The idea of versions is that you process the master in some application and produce derivative images, like JPG or TIFF files. And this could be days or weeks after the master has been created (depending on how fast you process your files).

One exception might be that your device produces both a RAW and a JPEG version at the same time. In that case you could use version detection based on EXIF, but that may be unreliable. It's better to use file name based versioning here too. Because usually the RAW and JPEG have the same name, except for the extension. Very easy to match and reliable.

When it comes to propagation: You can freely propagate IMatch attributes like collections or categories. Rating and Label. And XMP metadata. be very careful with other data, especially EXIF or IPTC. Remember that IMatch automatically updates EXIF/GPS/IPTC data on write-back from the XMP data it maintains for your files (XMP is a super-metadata format). Hence it is usually sufficient to just propagate XMP data, or some specific XMP tags like rating, label or title, description, headline.

This of course also depends on how your version files are created (meaning: Which metadata they already contain when you bring them into IMatch). If your camera produces both the master and the version, the metadata in both files should be identical. Did you check that (in IMatch, use the Metadata Panel to see all data).

If you tell us a bit more how you create versions, what you want to do with them etc. we can provide additional help.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

frlindla

Hi again.
I've tried to attach two files here to show how I set up Versions.

The first file shows that I use filename to match Versions. When I process cr2-files or dng-files in DxO, I convert them to jpegs afterwards. The filename then changes form IMG_1234 to IMG_1234_DxO.

What I want is that my master and Version automatically stacks With the jpeg on top of the stack. Is that possible? Is it also possible to stack by filename? When I refresh relations, should I choose keep manual or rebuild?

Is there a way to undo all stacks, just to start from scratch?

frlindla

Right now it is a mess! ( Pictures from wintertime dated june) There must be a way to undo autostacking I hope.

frlindla

I found out how to undo it:) But I don`t see how I can let Imatch stack my masters and Versions With the jpegs on top...

I have Attached a file here which I forgot in the earlier post.

Mario

IMatch puts the master on top for all version stacks.
You can override this by making one of your versions a version stack visual. Then IMatch represents the stack by this version.
See Uses

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

frlindla

Ok. But can you see by my attachments if I have set it up right (master-Version file relation)?

Mario

I don't understand the question. What is your problem, exactly?
I see several screen shots, but I don't know which files you are processing, where the versions are stored, if your setup actually identifies masters and versions etc...

QuoteThe filename then changes form IMG_1234 to IMG_1234_DxO.

Is this what you mean? This is quite unusual. But you can compensate for this by using the _DxO in your version file name expression.
Tip: Use the tester feature available to try some master file names and version file names to check if your version expression actually grabs your version files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

frlindla

Ok, I will try to explain how I do this. When I have processed a raw-file in DxO, I save the exported file in the original folder (same folder as the raw-file).

If you take a look on the attatched file, you will see the filename of both the cr2-file and the jpg-file.

I want Imatch to find all my cr2-files as masters and JPGs processed in DxO as versions. And I want Imatch to stack them automatically with the jpg on top.

When I set up a versioning, I use following settings on the detection-tab:

Masterfile-expression: \.(crw|cr2)$
Link-expression: ^{name}.*\.jpg$

and I limit by variables: version expression: ^{name}.*\_DxO.jpg$

On the versioning-tab I have set it to propagate categories, flags, dots, all xmp data etc. But no exif-data. Under use, I have marked "as visual" and "version stack visual".

I have used the tester feature and it matches on both test.cr2 and test.jpg.

My problem is this: If you take a look on the attached file, you can see that the raw-file and jpg-file are side by side, but they are not stacked. I want the jpg on top of the stack as Visual and as Visual stack proxy. My folders contain both JPGs as masters and jpgs as versions. When I try to let Imatch autostack, it also affects JPGs that are masters and cr2-files not yet processed in DxO. I have also seen that Imatch creates stacks With the same filename, but are different photos.

I hope you perhaps understand something more now and sorry for my bad English;)

Perhaps I should find some norwegian Imatch users:) If you know someone, let me now;)

frlindla

And the problem is also that the flag is not visible on the jpg-file.

Carlo Didier

Quote from: frlindla on March 13, 2019, 11:24:55 PMI have also seen that Imatch creates stacks With the same filename, but are different photos.

Does that mean your photos do not have unique names? If that's the case, you should consider to change that. First thing I do when I get the images from my camera/card is to rename to absolutely unique names. Saves a lot of confusion and potential problems.

Mario

You are making this far to complex.
Your version mask is wrong (according to what you tell us about your file names) and you don't need to filter by variables (which is used for totally different purposes).

If your version file names are really always produced by RAW_NAME_DxO.jpg all you need is:

This stacks the files and when I toggle the stack, the version is shown as the stack visual:

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator