Idea for a special variable taking the version instead the master

Started by sinus, March 20, 2019, 04:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Mario, this is really only a question, maybe you have an idea, maybe not.
If not, no problem.

You know, I use D&P often, with dynamic templates.
I let create files small and the same files even smaller and bigger.

This is possible with your cool variable:
{Group:{Print.Container.ZOrder}.File.FullName}

The problem: the normal file-container takes the version (jpg), this variables takes the master (nef).
Hence the output is not the same.

Do you have any idea, what I could try to do, that this variable takes also the version?

If  not, I have to think about putting the versions into the categories instead the masters, what give me other problems.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

I don't even understand the question or what complex machinery you employ in your templates. No idea, sorry.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on March 20, 2019, 04:32:35 PM
I don't even understand the question or what complex machinery you employ in your templates. No idea, sorry.

Thanks, Mario!

No problem, I will think about it.  :)
Markus

ubacher

Let's see if I understand your problem:

when you specify this variable it should return the name of the version which you use, instead it picks the used file's master file.

(Not sure that this is any more understandable!!)

sinus

Quote from: ubacher on March 20, 2019, 06:26:35 PM
Let's see if I understand your problem:

when you specify this variable it should return the name of the version which you use, instead it picks the used file's master file.

(Not sure that this is any more understandable!!)

Exactly, ubacher! You hit the nail on the head. ;D
If I use a normal file-container in D&P, IMatch uses the version (because my preferences in the relations).

But this really cool variable does not, it uses the master.
I do not more know, where I found this variable, but I am sure, it is from Mario.

It is a very useful variable, because you create a graphic-container, use this variable in the file-name and it displays all images, what have space on the page.
If you have a grid 3x4, then it returns 12 pics, if you have 8x10, it returns 80 images and so on.

The source of the images is the same, but the normal file-container uses the version, this variable uses the master.
Markus

Mario

The variable refers tot he full file name of the file processed. That you have setup a visual proxy or maybe a version proxy is of no relevance.
This is not a "give me the name of the file used to represent the image in that container". Such a variable does not exist.
You will have to find another way to handle this in your complex layouts. Maybe use the {File.Relations} variable and an index.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on March 21, 2019, 08:44:26 AM
The variable refers tot he full file name of the file processed. That you have setup a visual proxy or maybe a version proxy is of no relevance.
This is not a "give me the name of the file used to represent the image in that container". Such a variable does not exist.
You will have to find another way to handle this in your complex layouts. Maybe use the {File.Relations} variable and an index.

File.Relations works not, as far as I can see.
Because I cannot see the file-Name of the version.
If I could refer to the file-name of the version, then it would work, I am quite sure.

For example this here works:
{Group:{Print.Container.ZOrder}.File.FullName|substrr:4}-var.jpg

This would remove 4 letters from the nef-name at the end
blabla.nef

and add instead at the end -var.jpg what ends with the correct

version-name: blabla-var.jpg

BUT if the version ends with something else, like -var2.jpg
it works not more.

Hence: If I would know the version-name with a variable or with a metadata-field, it would work.

Becasue this is not case, it works not.

Finally I have to change my workflow.

Anyway, thank you for your inputs.

Markus

sinus

Markus