Recover from major crash

Started by stonecherub, March 19, 2019, 08:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stonecherub

One fine day, for no apparent reason, my data mirror RAID pair went into disk check after a reboot and all of my 2019 files were either damaged or deleted - random others as well. I have Backblaze and they sent me a copy of my data drive current to the day before the crash. I just got the data drive rebuilt with the identical structure (new D:/ is recovered D:/) to that which was lost, installed the latest IMatch. and attempted to use it. A database version from a week before the crash was reloaded from Pack 'n Go.

All files showed up as "off-line" and "Relocate" spread my stuff from hell to breakfast all over the previous data structure. Do you have some advice for attaching a database to a completely rebuilt drive?

Mario

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "rom hell to breakfast"... I assume you mean that the Relocate did not work?
What did you do, exactly?

Usually when you replace a disk D: with another disk D: and the new disk has the same folder structure as the old D: disk, all you need to do is to relocate the D: drive to the D: drive in IMatch.
Right click on the D: drive in the Media & Folders View and choose "Relocate" from the menu. Relocate the drive onto itself.

See also Off-line Folders and Files in the IMatch Help System for additional info.

If this does not work for some reason, give us more details to work with. Screen shots of what you see, what you did and in which order.
You can always restore your database from the Pack & Go package and start over.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Quote from: stonecherub on March 19, 2019, 08:15:03 PM
I have Backblaze and they sent me a copy of my data drive current to the day before the crash
Yep Backblaze is terrific, been using it for some 8 years. It's got me out of a few bad situations with my data, though I've yet to have a complete drive sent to me.
At 60$ a year for back up of all attached disks (except NAS) it's a great deal. I have over 4 Tb of images etc. With them.

I know Mario does not like cloud solutions, I'm pretty much the same, but I make an exception for Backblaze.
Aubrey

Mario

QuoteI know Mario does not like cloud solutions

I have nothing against cloud solutions. I use them as a 3rd backup tier (RAID, daily backup to external disks, daily backup to cloud).

I just say that:

a) never have your backup data in the cloud alone
b) only copy locally (under your control) encrypted data into the cloud
c) frequently try o restore your data from your cloud backup - just to see that it is really working (many have learned hard lessons there)

Having all backup on a local hard disk is very comfortable, because you can restore in seconds and also clone a new disk if needed.
A 4TB 2.5" USB 3 disk currently costs about 120$ and is an excellent and fast storage media.

A specialized vendor like Backblaze, who offers you storage in exchange for money is usually preferable over a vendor who gives you storage for free and then does who knows what with your data and privacy to monetize it...

I get 5TB of cloud storage with my 5-user Microsoft Office 365 subscription, for about 70$ per year. This gives me plenty of cloud backup capacity. I encrypt the data locally and let OneDrive copy it into the cloud. Works a treat.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on March 23, 2019, 08:40:21 AMI get 5TB of cloud storage with my 5-user Microsoft Office 365 subscription, for about 70$ per year. This gives me plenty of cloud backup capacity. I encrypt the data locally and let OneDrive copy it into the cloud. Works a treat.
Yes, the only downside to that is that it's 5 chunks of 1TB, not 5TB in one piece.

Mario

QuoteYes, the only downside to that is that it's 5 chunks of 1TB, not 5TB in one piece.

True. But 1TB gets you a looong way if you combine it with sophisticated backup software like (in my case) Macrium Reflect and git.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator