Versioning

Started by DigPeter, December 26, 2019, 07:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigPeter

I am trying to set up versioning.  I have read the relevant help items.  I want to set up an automatic versioning with Canon CR3 as the master and the converted jpg as the version. I attach the file relations settings for this.  I can do this manually with Refresh Relations and F4,P.  How can I do this automatically?

jch2103

Did you rescan the relevant files after setting up the versioning configuration?
John

iBaloo42

You have to make sure that updating relationship settings are set on the Preferences/Background Processing panel.

JohnZeman

Whoa!

Thank you for that iBaloo42, I had totally missed that setting in preferences.

I don't know if your suggestion will help Peter but it solves a similar problem I was having a few weeks ago regarding metadata propagation to versions.

Mees Dekker

Very helpful indeed. I missed it too.

Mario

These options are enabled by default (just checked to be sure).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DigPeter

Thank you all.  iBaloo's tip is the one.  I forgot that I had unchecked those settings some while ago, as I was not using versioning then.

DigPeter

Another versioning problem:

Raw Hierarchical Keywords: Source|Peter Photo; Subject|Garden|Kealties Garden; Where|UK|Hants|Hurstbourne Tarrant parish

Version Hierarchical keywords for same file after F4,P:  Kealties Garden; Peter Photo; UK; UK|Hants; UK|Hants|Hurstbourne Tarrant parish

You can see that the Version Hierarchical keywords are partially split into their constituent flat keywords.

I am using the same file relations as attached to my OP which functions normally for other attributes (e.g title, description).   What to propogate is set to XMP without LR/camera raw data .

Mario

Please check and detail your thesaurus settings (group and exclusion levels). Your keyword flattening settings. The existing keywords in the source and target files for your example case.
Your exact propagation settings. The existing metadata in your files, especially existing legacy and IPTC keywords, XMP keywords, XMP hierarchical keywords (ECP dump).
Your metadata protection settings in IMatch. The contents of the ExifTool output panel after the propagation has been performed. The IMatch log file in debug mode.

Any of these settings/conditions can impact propagation results. The ExifTool output panel contents, the log file and the metadata contents of your files before and after may allow us to provide additional suggestions.  There are too many variables to analyze this without all that info.

Some example images and exact details about all settings will help me when I try to reproduce your specific problem in a silent week. You can send me a link for download or files < 20 MB to my support email address email. I currently have 9 other analysis cases and about 30 to 50 emails per day in my queue to this make take a couple of weeks to look into. I recommend filing a bug report with all details, file and setting links, screen shots, info.

If your keywords are flattened, the most likely cause is your thesaurus, flattening settings and existing data in your files YOU DON'T propagate. This is where I would start looking if I where you. Versioning and propagation in combination with metadata mess can be tricky. IMatch cannot solve/handle everything.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DigPeter

Thank you Mario.

I have just shared a folder with you on Dropbox.  I have provided such information as I can.  I do not know how to obtain Exif Tool output.