Import fotos from and convert, rename ...

Started by surveyor, April 01, 2019, 04:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surveyor

Hi,
can someone recommend a software for importing fotos from camera, rename with fotoattributes (date, time etc.) and put them in folders with year\month\day-structure in the fotofolder? (Like the function Lightroom :()

Or has IMatch such a function which I have not found yet?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Jens

Mario

Windows 10 has a built-in function which does all that. It's part of Windows Photo. Windows should offer you this feature as soon as you plug in your camera or card.
If you chose a folder indexed by IMatch, IMatch will automatically pick up the files.

Alternatively, you can just copy the files into a folder indexed by your database and then use the IMatch Renamer to rename the files, move them in date based folders, make second copies if needed, etc. The IMatch Renamer can do all that. The Renamer
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

surveyor

Maybe the Renamer is it for my workflow. I'll give it a try. Thank you!

sinus

Quote from: surveyor on April 01, 2019, 06:39:10 PM
Maybe the Renamer is it for my workflow. I'll give it a try. Thank you!

I think, you will be able to do with the Renamer, what you want - except you have very specific wishes.  8)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

lbo

Quote from: surveyor on April 01, 2019, 04:37:41 PM
can someone recommend a software for importing fotos from camera, rename with fotoattributes (date, time etc.) and put them in folders with year\month\day-structure in the fotofolder? (Like the function Lightroom :()

Jens, did you try https://www.mortara.org/apps-software/windows/wia-loader/

I didn't test it myself so this is not a recommendation, but I intend to check it some day. It seems to be extremely versatile and powerful.

Please post a report here after trying.

Oliver

surveyor

Yes, the Renamer does all I need.

I will also take a look on the WIALoader. It looks very interesting.

Thanks!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Jens

Carlo Didier

The renamer is great for this, except if you want to do all that before importing in iMatch.

I use Breeze Downloader Pro.

Jingo

IM Renamer is great if you are going to ingest them into Imatch.  Since I only ingest finished JPG's into IMatch - I'll pipe in another option that will do this easily - Photo Mechanic which I recently started to use as my first step in RAW file import/culling.  Then onto DxO... then export to JPG.. then Import to IMatch via watched folders. 

ubacher

Re photo import:
Win 7 had a good import function and this is still available in Win 10 but hidden.
With  my Nikon DSLR connected it shows me the option when I right-click. I think this was automatic but maybe I had
to do something to get it to do this. For smart phones it does not work.

There is however the possibility to use the following batch file to call up this up:
"%SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe" "%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer\photoAcq.dll",PhotoAndVideoAcquire
(I attach it)
I like this import program because it is very reliable and already built in.

(The current Win 10 photo import functionI find inconvenient/useless)

sinus

I created an import-folder.
This import-folder I have indexed with IMatch.

New photos from my Nikon or some pics from friends or handy ...I put all into this import-folder, sometimes also with subfolders.

IMatch simply imports all files.
It is then listed in the collections, like"today","this week" and so on.

And I choosed in the preferences of IMatch (Indexing), that new files has also a specific category and a flag.
So it is very easy to see all images, also, when I cannot edit them immediately.

If so, then I use the renamer, it creates new filenames and moves the files into the correct (date)-folder, and this just after the renamer does "backup" all files in another folder (not indexed by Imatch)

For me easy and above all, it has proven itself - for me.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

This is a standard workflow that works well in most environments.
Once the files are in the database you can access all metadata in the Renamer, allowing for complex or simple renaming schemes, as desired.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook