How to setup a scope when using variables.

Started by plastikman, April 16, 2020, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plastikman

I have different groups/categories in the People Manager e.g. Family, Pets which I want to use to set the scope. The Level 1 variable:

File.Persons.Group

I am trying to figure out how to set a scope using variables / data-driven categories. E.g. I setup

I want to setup a data-driven category for a specific group e.g. Pets, which lists the full name of each unique Pet. How would I do that? I want to do similar things with other categories. The Level 2 variable:

{File.Persons.FullName}

I tried to do this with a Level 1 / Level 2 category. The problem is that under every category it lists not only the names actually assigned to that category, but also all the names that appear with them in a photo but are not in that category.

This means that I somehow need to define the scope of the Level 2 category to the Level 1 category (e.g. in Level 2 of "Pets" only list the names of pets, not from other categories).

How can I set the scope of a data-driven category based on variable to only one variable e.g. File.Persons.Group = Pets to list only the actual pets, not also the people who appear in a photo with pets ?

Mario

Not quite sure what you want to accomplish.
But this should work in general. I've made a quick test and I could group by Person Group and on the level below that by the persons in each group.
If you want to see only specific groups or person, filter via the variable expression (performance-drag warning!).

Remember that variables return text. And that these variables return one or more elements, separated by ;
You need to enable the value splitting option for each level and use ;

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

plastikman

I want to have the following structure (assuming 3 Categories, each with 3 people/pets assigned to them):

Family (File.Persons.Group), LVL1
- Family member 1
- Family member 2
- Family member 3
Pets (File.Persons.FullName), LVL2
- Pet 1
- Pet 2
- Pet 3

The result I get now using File.Persons.Group on Level 1 and File.Persons.FullName on Level 2 (assuming each category has 3 People assigned to them in People Manager).

Family
- Family member 1
- Family member 2
- Family member 3
But also (which I do not want in the index list)
- Friend 1 (who appears in some photos with a family member)
- Friend 2 (who appears in some photos with a family member)
- Pet 1 (who appears in some photos with a family member)
- Pet 2 (who appears in some photos with a family member)
Pets
- Pet 1
- Pet 2
- Pet 3
But also (which I do not want in the index list)
- Family Member 1 (who appears in some photos with a pet)
- Family Member 2 (who appears in some photos with a pet)
- Friend 1 (who appears in some photos with a pet)
- Friend 2 (who appears in some photos with a pet)

From this I suppose I am not defining the scope in the right way. It seems like a fairly simple thing but I cannot figure out what I should change.

Higher level: I just want a very quick way to see a list of members of each of the groups. I can go to People Manager (additional click from the @Categories panel where I do most of my stuff), then use search to filter a group e.g. Family (another 1-2 actions) and from what I recall I will then also see some photos with unconfirmed faces suspected to be the person. So I think I prefer to use a data-driven category to quickly filter it down.

Variables and Categories are my absolute favorite elements of IMatch 2020 but some of it is a bit above my head right now to figure out. Normally with some help and an example or two I can reverse engineer the logic and figure out additional things from there going forward. The examples in the IMatch help section focus mostly on isolated use and general syntax (and are very clear) but less on combining different variables two filter/layer things, hence my call for help! I was hoping some forum members here have it all figured out and can offer a helping hand or even a hint where to start looking.

Mario

Data-driven categories produce one category for each unique value in the variable you use.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook