Metadata-Process

Started by Gerd, September 18, 2013, 11:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerd

Hi,

I have searched in the IM-db for double entries and found 6.000. I have marked them, together with the originals, with the blue "Review"-label. At the end all was read and written and stable. After checking the doubles I could decide to delete them, also this was no problem. Now I have the 3.000 originals with the blue label and the yellow pencil, because auto write metadata is switched off.
Ok, so I marked them (3.000) and selected "Metadata Write-Back"  for selcted files, also ok ... but why is the programm at the end again "Reading Metadata"???

As I understood, are the labels only stored in the database and have to be written ito the files. But if this is done, then the process is finished ... why again this time-consuming "Reading Metadata" ???

Regards
Gerd
_______
Regards
Gerd

Mario

Labels (and ratings) are part of the XMP data in your files.

IMatch always re-reads metadata after writing files to update the database from the post write state of the file. Because setting the XMP label not only updates the XMP label, but also various time stamps and other information in the file. What depends on the file format and XMP version used. ExifTool does this all, and IMatch has to reload the metadata afterwards to get all the changes back into the database.

Flags, Dots, Bookmarks and Pins are stored in the database only. Changing them does not require updating the data in the file. Maybe you better use these for these purposes. Or don't update your files every time you just changed a label - unless you need to see and use this label in other applications.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Gerd

Hi Mario,

thanks for make this clear!

Regards
Gerd
_______
Regards
Gerd