Suggestion needed for adding folders to the database

Started by mopperle, April 28, 2019, 04:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopperle

Searched for my "problem" but didnt find an answer, so sorry if it has already been asked. ;)

I got some thousand (around 15000) files from my father which are being stored in the following folder structure:

- [year]
   -- [month]
       --- [day]
            ---- [camera model] (this folder contains all raw files)
            ---- files 1 to n (all jpg files)

What I want to do is to simply add the folder [year] to the database including all subfolders except the folder [camera model]. It would would fill the database with unnecessary data from all the raw files, which wouldnt give me any value, as all relevant metadata are part of the jpg files.

Is there any solution for this.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Otto

Mario

IMatch is designed to manage all files in the folders you add, including sub-folders.
This has implications for buddy file handling, versioning, moving, deleting and copying folders.

I assume that the upper-level folders contain files "produced" from the files in [camera model]?
In that case you most likely want all folders in your database so you can utilize IMatch's versioning and buddy file management.
Otherwise I recommend to move the [camera name] folders to a totally separate folder hierarchy not indexed by IMatch (other disk).

There is a way to exclude certain folders by name, but this is mainly designed to ignore folders with temporary cache and sidecar files maintained by some RAW processors.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

mopperle

Hallo Mario,

QuoteI assume that the upper-level folders contain files "produced" from the files in [camera model]?
The files "produced" are on the same level [day] as [camera model]

QuoteThere is a way to exclude certain folders by name, but this is mainly designed to ignore folders with temporary cache and sidecar files maintained by some RAW processors.
And how does this work?

Gruß,
Otto

thrinn

Quote from: mopperle on April 28, 2019, 10:05:36 PM
QuoteThere is a way to exclude certain folders by name, but this is mainly designed to ignore folders with temporary cache and sidecar files maintained by some RAW processors.
And how does this work?

Gruß,
Otto
This is all part of the indexing process. Have a look at https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#rmh_config_indexing.htm, especially at the option "Skip these folders".
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

mopperle

Thanks, that should work; one additional question: when entering multiple folders in ths mall windows, how are they separated? Komma, blank...?

Mario

Quote from: mopperle on April 29, 2019, 09:10:55 AM
Thanks, that should work; one additional question: when entering multiple folders in ths mall windows, how are they separated? Komma, blank...?

Remember that IMatch has a very comprehensive built-in help system. Just press <F1> when you need help.
I did this. Takes one second. And then I see:

But please make absolutely sure that you understand the consequences. As I've explained above, keeping the RAW in the database is the normal workflow, because it allows IMatch to handle versioning, buddy file processing and other things for you...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook