IM5 using | as separator for hierarchical keywords incompatible with IM3

Started by ubacher, September 19, 2013, 08:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

IM5 writes hierarchical keywords with the | separator.
IM5 can read these keywords with either | or . as separator. Reading files from IM3 thus no problem.

IM3 can only read with . OR |

All my IM3 managed files use the . as separator.

This causes me a problem because I can not have any file which has been keyworded in IM5
read into IM3. (Messes up my categories i.e. generates categories like "LOCATION|EUROPE|BRITAIN")

---> I would like to process all new files in IM5 (keeping backups of course) and then
when finished copy them into the file system which IM3 uses. Since this is not possible it means I have to discard
the work done in IM5 and redo it in IM3. As a consequence I do little "real-work" testing in IM5.

Is there a way around this? Changing all "Keywords" with period as separator to a | in IM3 is impractical.
Best solution would be to change IM3 to accept also the | as a separator OR IM5 to allow writing hierarchical keywords
with . as separator.

Mario

IMatch 3 does not support hierarchical keywords.

Do you mean the IPTC Import feature which can import IPTC keywords with some sort of dot-notation into categories?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

IM3 can read IPTC keywords into IM3 categories. What character is used to separate the hierarchy
can be specified in the IPTC import.
To write categories into the IPTC keywords field a script like APIW is needed.