Categories, what am I doing wrong?

Started by J.D. McDowell, September 21, 2013, 12:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.D. McDowell

So, I figured this would be simple enough. I created the data driven category "Ratings." Under the "0" stars category there are only 24 images showing up. There should be thousands. The 1 star rating category shows a count of 357. If I use the filter panel I get 714. I have the same issue with all the other Ratings categories as well. Now mind you, the filter panel also says there are 35,626 images with no star ratings. That's out of the 18,190 images there are in the database ( huh, ?)

Apparently I'm not getting something.

Any advice is welcome.

jch2103

Check the Collections tab and see Rating. That should give you a complete set of all files that have been assigned a Rating in the database (or that don't have a rating at all). The '0' rating should be is for rejected files, not files without a rating. In any event, the Collection view should give you some comparisons.

John

JohnZeman

I've never tried doing this with a data-driven category, but it works quite well with a formula category because I have such categories set up for both ratings and labels.

An example formula I'm using to show all images in the database with a rating of 1 is:

"@Collection[Rating|1]"

Which, as John points out above, uses the collection of ratings.

Mario

Rejected files have a rating of -1.

A rating of 0 indicates a file without a rating. I think the problem with the data-driven category is that a file without a rating does not have a metadata tag with the value 0, but no rating tag at all. These files should show up under the Other category when you enable it.

The 24 files showing under "0" apparently have a rating tag with the value 0, which is OK but uncommon.

As outlined by other posters there is usually no need for separate categories for rating or label, because IMatch automatically maintains collections for these important XMP tags. You can see them in the Collections View, where you can see all files by rating and label. You can combine files with multiple ratings by selecting multiple collections in the tree, e.g. to see all files with 1,2 and 3 stars.

If you want to use these collections in categories, you can do so via easily the @Collection function.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

HansEverts

I just tried this out a bit.

The 0 you see in the category view is a real 0, in the sense that you actually clicked on the 0 button, as opposed to the absence of any value. Perhaps yo hit the 0 to get rid of a higher rating number. In the collection under the 0 you find them all, the real 0s as well as the images without rating. For the former there is a rating field in the metadata, for the latter there is none.

I took a few images without rating There was no rating field. I clicked on 0, the rating field appeared and the images could be found under the rating category value 0.

J.D. McDowell

Thanks for the explanation! It makes sense.

Any thoughts on the odd numbers from using the filter panel?

Mario

The filter panel works on the file window. It does not "say" anything. I guess you mean the numbers shown in the file window caption?

If you work in the collections or category view, the same file may be present multiple times in the file window. For example, if you select multiple categories, or you enable the hierarchical mode for the file window. So if you have 100 files in three categories, the file window may contain 300 files (in hierarchy mode).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook