Import metadata from XML sidecar for video

Started by Cobblestone-TLT, May 24, 2019, 07:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobblestone-TLT

Hello!
When I shoot video, my camera creates videofile and sidecar file with metadata in xml format (for example C0001.MP4 and C0001M01.XML). Is there a way to import metadata information from this file into iMatch database and write it into standard xmp sidecar file?

Mario

XML is a generic markup language. It can contain any kind of data in any kind of formatting.
IMatch would have to know what data is contained in your XML files, and how to map this data into metadata tags.
Impossible to do this in a generic way.

This would be a job for a specialized import module (similar to the CSV import) that  understands the data written in XML format by your camera and then knows what to do with this data (e.g. in which XMP tags to write the data in which way, especially dealing with things like repeatable tags, numbers, date and time information).

Another idea would be to use a tool (Excel or a generic XML to CSV converter, many on-line available) to transform (selected) data elements in your XML-formatted file into a CSV file, and then import this with the IMatch CSV Importer.

Are you use these are not really XMP files, just with the wrong file extension?
Camera vendors have done crazier things recently.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Cobblestone-TLT

Quote from: Mario on May 24, 2019, 07:33:56 PM
Are you use these are not really XMP files, just with the wrong file extension?

Not really, I just want import camera make & model information from this file to have possibility filter not only images from several cameras but video too. Ok, if I can't do this automatically, will have to do manually, but it's not a problem for me.

Thanks a lot anyway!