How increase a number in a metadata-field

Started by sinus, May 29, 2019, 10:05:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hello,
sorry, I don't think I can think so clearly right now.  :o

I have a metadata field, in my case {File.MD.XMP::photoshop\TransmissionReference\TransmissionReference\0}

In this field I enter keywords and later use these keywords to make them the file name.

Now I have for example 100 images.
I want to give the customer "normal" filenames with a keyword and numbered.

That means, I enter in different images, sometimes 4, sometimes 10, sometimes only 2, same keywords into this metadata field, it looks like this:

wedding (e.g. 10 pictures)
church (8 pictures)
party (12 pictures)

Now I want to select all 100 images and IMatch should then number the same keywords:

wedding-1
wedding-2
wedding-3
church-1
church-2
party-1
party-2

Exactly these values will be given later by the filenames.
So my question is, what's the easiest way to do this numbering at the back with the same keywords?

I know that I had that once, but I don't know how anymore, maybe it was a VB-script or another possibility.
At the moment I just don't get the right idea how to do it.

Right now I'm doing that, ahem, by hand, image after image.  :-\ :-[

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

hluxem

Hello Sinus,

If I understand correctly, the renamer should work. Use the tag for the first part of the name and the unique number with "-" as prefix. If you have only one file with a specific keyword, it will not add a number, not sure if that what you want, can always do another run and add -1. Make sure you use the preview feature to check if it's what you want.

Hope that helps,

Heiner

sinus

Thanks, Heiner, for your input.

I will think about your approach.
But say, the renamer creates correct some filenames:

wedding-1
wedding-2
wedding-3
church-1
church-2

Then I want have these filename of course also in the metatag-field, to find this image again, if the customer ask for a file with such names.
But these short names are only for customers and are copies, the real files has longer names.

I can of coure use a Metadate-Template later for this, if the renamer has done his work.

But much better would be, if I could numbering simply a metadata-field.
I have one solution with a variable, what counts up. But it is also not very handy.

Hm, at the end maybe is really only a script the solution.  ???
Markus

Mario

You are making your life too hard.

Try the Metadata Mechanic App. I can fill tags from Variables (including your sequence, which is probably a global numeric auto-increment variable or something). The MDM also supports sequences to fill a tag with an incrementing number.

And, sometimes, not even IMatch can do everything users come up with out-of-the box. That's what apps are for, which can be used to implement such peculiar workflows and requirements.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on May 29, 2019, 07:08:06 PM
You are making your life too hard.

Try the Metadata Mechanic App. I can fill tags from Variables (including your sequence, which is probably a global numeric auto-increment variable or something). The MDM also supports sequences to fill a tag with an incrementing number.

And, sometimes, not even IMatch can do everything users come up with out-of-the box. That's what apps are for, which can be used to implement such peculiar workflows and requirements.

Ahhhhhh, Metadata Mechanic, never used  :-\ :-[ that can be the solution.
But very first test in the night shows me curious results, I have to check this out.

Instead 1,2,3 it gives me

Hm, I have to look into this better. The above results (1,11,111) are created with an empty tag and the app-values, like the attachement shows.

Markus

Mario

Which version of IMatch are you using?
This bug was fixed in the 2019.5.2 I believe (might be wrong).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on May 30, 2019, 08:40:42 AM
Which version of IMatch are you using?
This bug was fixed in the 2019.5.2 I believe (might be wrong).

You are completely right, Mario!

I had not downloaded the newest version, it was the one before the newest.  :-[ :-\
And guess now? The bug is gone! Now the Metadate-Mechanic-App does the numbering correct, like 1, 2, 3 and so on.

This helps me a great deal.
All I have to do still now, is to find a solution, that I add some words before this number (because all the infos in the tag, in my case the words like "wedding", "party" are overwritten with the numbers).

I will think about it, but I am now very confidental, that I will find a solution.

Thank for your input!  :)
Markus

Mario

The sequence in the MDM is just a sequence.
To add words with running numbers to your files you should try out a global auto-increment variable in combination with a fixed text plus a metadata template. Or the MDA.

If even this does not do what you want, it's time to learn about writing apps.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator