What do these icons mean?

Started by monstermaha, June 23, 2019, 07:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monstermaha

There are two icons on the far right in the very bottom right corner of the imatch window. One is a rotating circle of dots, the other looks like a database cylinder with a green arrow on it that moves. What do these mean? They run for a very long time and freeze iMatch until I force a shut down, which results in 'imatch did not shut down properly the last time'. How can I stop these processes from stopping me being able to use imatch? Right now I've probably waited 20 minutes to continue working, so now I need to force a shut down.

Thanks!

Maha

Mario

These icons are displayed when IMatch is doing operations in the background, and when the database is active (reading,writing).

As always, when you report a problem, provide as much details as possible (for example, does your database have 30,000 or 500,000 files, was IMatch currently indexing files, ...) and the IMatch log file.
IMatch usually does not become unresponsive for more than a few seconds, even when really busy (Windows may tell you otherwise, just ignore it).

If you can tell us what you did before this happened, and attach a log file, we can figure this out.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

monstermaha

Thanks, Mario. I thought that they were indications of something running in the background, but wanted to check. In the case last night, I'd just finished adding categories to about 400 pictures (the db has about 32,000 pictures) and then imatch froze except for these two icons. I ended up forcing the stop and reopening imatch, and it was fine after that. Here's a copy from some of the log file before I force stopped it:

ADMIN: Logfile data removed.

Mario

Please always ZIP and attach the log file. Don't just copy/paste a bit of the log into a post. This is bad for the community search engine and all the important info is missing.
If you have a repeatable problem, switch IMatch to debug logging (Help menu > Support > Debug Logging) to produce more detailed log files.

Make sure to make IMatch an exception in your virus-checker and to exclude the folder (!) containing the database file from 'on-access' virus scans. This often solves mysterious problems with sluggish IMatch performance or 'stalling'-
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook