DNG Image File size

Started by PhotoPhil, June 26, 2019, 09:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhotoPhil

Hi, I hope you are able to advise me on what may be a simple issue as I finalise how I will remove myself from Lightroom.

I have many files from previous years that I converted to DNG when importing them to Lightroom.  In Windows Explorer the size of the file is shown as 1024 pixels on the long side but when they are opened in Lightroom or Photoshop they are the correct size such as 4320 pixels wide.

In Imatch, the metadata panel EXIF info shows the correct size - 4320 wide.
However, when I transfer the file from Imatch to an application for processing (capture One, DXO, etc) using the Image Batch Processor in the Import & Export panel, the file is transferred with the size as 1024 pixels on the long side.

In the Batch Processor I export as Tif and say not to resize.  I suspect that the 1024 pix size could be an embedded preview file size but wonder if I have something wrong in settings or it is just one of the may things I do not understand.

I would like to avoid having to convert all the DNGs to Tiffs in Lightroom but perhaps this would be best?

Thanks
Phil Ryan

Mario

The Batch Processor by default uses the cache image IMatch has created. "Format and Size" tab in the Batch Processor.

If your old DNG files have only a small embedded preview and you have set IMatch to use the preview (Edit > Preferences > Cache), you should disable this option in you Batch Processor preset.
But the minimum cache size is usually set to 1920 pixel so 1024 pixel previews should be ignored. Can you see the DNG files in full-size in the IMatch Viewer?

Note that you can also just drag & drop your DNG files from IMatch to your other application (if it can understand DNG files).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

PhotoPhil

Thanks for replying so quickly, Mario.
In the Batch Processor "Format & size" tab I have Use Cache Un-ticked.  In Cache in Preferences I changed Use Embedded Preview to "No".

I understand that I can transfer directly to an Application and do so.  I did not explain correctly that I use the Import & Export Batch Processor to copy the files to a new Folder so that I can edit that copy in the Application.
In the Format and Size tab I have Output format as Tiff, Use cache unticked do not resize and export as Adobe RGB (1998). I have the new Folder entered in the Folder tab.

I have just imported a new Raw file that I imported with Lightroom and converted it to DNG.
When I look at it in LR it is 17.9mb with dimensions of 5184x3888 pixels
When I look at the file in Windows Explorer it is a 17.8mb file with dimensions of 1024x768 pixels
When I look at it in Imatch metadata it is 5240x3912 pixels

When I transfer/copy the file using Import & Export/Image Batch Processor it appears in the new Windows Folder as a 2.25mb file of 1024x768px.  It is that same small size in Imatch, Lightroom and other programs.  Somehow the new file created through export is using the 1024 px size file.
This issue does not occur with my native Nikon or Olympus raw files.

I do not want to waste your time on this and can accept that it must be something with my setup, something I do not know.  I  just wondered if there was a simple explanation and I will work around it.  Too many programs, too many options, too many variables in my world perhaps.

Thanks again
Phil

Mario

Can you see the file in 100% size in the Viewer?
Changing the cache settings does not change existing cache images, only images which come into your database afterwards or which you re-create with a "Forced Update".

I assume you have used the "Don't resize" option in the Batch Processor?

Maybe this is a WIC codec issue, if Windows also only shows the 1024 pixel file.
There are many, many different DNG variants in use today...

Please select one of your DNG files in an IMatch File Window and run a WIC Diagnostics. Attach the results.
Probably the DNG WIC codec installed on your system can only extract the embedded preview. Updating the codec or installing a different once should help. Or re-saving the DNG files in Photoshop or LR to stoere them in a more current format. Behavior like this is why DNG never made it as a all-purpose or official archival format...sigh.

If you want, you can send me a sample image to my support email address email address. I can check it here.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Quote from: PhotoPhil on June 26, 2019, 09:03:00 AM
However, when I transfer the file from Imatch to an application for processing (capture One, DXO, etc) using the Image Batch Processor in the Import & Export panel, the file is transferred with the size as 1024 pixels on the long side.

It might be simpler to create application Favorites for the processing programs you use, and simply drag and drop the images you want to process onto the Favorite icon. That's how I use IMatch with DxO PhotoLab. Very streamlined process.
John

JohnZeman

Quote from: jch2103 on June 26, 2019, 07:33:16 PM

It might be simpler to create application Favorites for the processing programs you use, and simply drag and drop the images you want to process onto the Favorite icon. That's how I use IMatch with DxO PhotoLab. Very streamlined process.

I do the same thing, works great!

David_H

In the Batch Processor I export as Tif and say not to resize.

If you do this, you are already causing the image to be processed, and it won't give you the best results out of DxO as it likes originals (and probably not Capture One either).

Aubrey

Quote from: JohnZeman on June 26, 2019, 07:41:35 PM
Quote from: jch2103 on June 26, 2019, 07:33:16 PM

I do the same thing, works great!
Me too... Love Dxo.. Bye bye LR!

PhotoPhil

Thanks to those who replied.  As I mentioned, I was able to send files direct to an editor via the Favourites Tab without issue and they were full size in the editors.  It was only when I started sending copies of DNG files as TIFFs to to another folder for later attention that I noticed that the new files were only 1024 px on the long side - same as the originals were shown in Windows Explorer and not full size like the the originals were showing in Imatch and photo editors (even though the Imatch Viewer was showing just the small size and could not be zoomed).
Mario explained the issues with DNG files and I will work with that info to save him wasting his time on what is really my issue.  I am pleased that I stopped converting to DNGs a year ago!
Thanks again.....Phil

Mario

If the Viewer also does only show a small preview, the DNG WIC codec on your system does not really understand the DNG format you use and can only extract the preview.
That's why I've asked for a WIC Diagnostics of a DNG file in my post above, which would show us exactly which DNG codec is installed on your system and how it handles your files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

PhotoPhil

I had run the diagnostic and now attach a copy.  Thank you.

Mario

This explains it.
You are using the FastPictureViewer codecs (do you have the latest installed? I think 3.8.0.97 is the latest, from 2017. You can check in Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove software.

The FPV DNG codec can only extract a 1024x680 image, as the "full resolution" file. This is all IMatch gets and works with.

IMatch's built-in RAW processing based on LibRaw can extract the full RAW, but is not used because there is a WIC codec installed which handles the image.

Options:

1. Switch IMatch to ignore WIC codecs and use only LibRaw: Edit > Preferences > Application: Prefer photools.com RAW processing.
Note: You'll have to do a "forced" update on all affected files in IMatch to re-create thumbnails and cache files. Select the files and press Shift+Ctrl+F5.

2. Check the FPV codec settings, I think there was an option (?) which forces it to use the embedded preview, no matter what...

3. Remove the FPV codecs and try the standard DNG codecs shipped with Windows.
Note: You'll have to do a "forced" update on all affected files in IMatch to re-create thumbnails and cache files. Select the files and press Shift+Ctrl+F5.
Note: This may affect how your other RAW files "look" because a different codec is used.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

PhotoPhil

Thanks very much, Mario.
I solved the issue with your option 1.  I may have added FVP codecs as I needed something a couple of years ago to correctly display my Olympus ORF raw files.  I will just need to ensure that they will be OK in future now.  Appreciated.....Phil

Mario

Note: Using LibRaw instead of WIC may affect how your RAW files are displayed in IMatch in cases where the embedded preview cannot be used (non-existent, too small) and IMatch has to "develop" the full RAW.
I cannot say if this is/was the case for your RAW files. If the preview is used, the results will be the same (I presume) because both the WIC DNG codec or LibRaw will just pull the JPEG from the RAW and hand it over to IMatch.

WIC codecs and LibRaw produce different results. Even different WIC codecs (Microsoft, FPV, Adobe) produce different results. Producing an "image" from "RAW" data is always a matter of interpretation and algorithms used.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator