hotkey/option to change pictures while in viewer category panel

Started by Gerhard, June 30, 2019, 12:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerhard

As already mentioned in thread https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=9147.0 , I would like to have an option and/or hotkey to change picutres in viewer, while focus is in the category panel.

My proposals are:
- a modifier key e.g. ctrl + arrow key (left/right)   or  alt+ arrow key (left/right) to go forth and back with the images while focus is in the viewer category panel

- an option to change the behavior of the arrow keys: while in category panel in the viewer, "this option" changes the behavior of the (left/right) arrow keys to previous/next pictures ( instead of collapse and expand categories)

Thank you.

Mario

I have pondered this and changed the Favorites panel in the Viewer to allow image navigation with the standard cursor right/left keys, Alt+cursor combinations (to disable reject skipping) and SPACE.
Ctrl+cursor left/right is still available for switching between columns (for users who use multiple column Favorite layouts). Ctrl cursor/up down still allows moving favorites.

<Enter> and <Shift>+<Enter> can now be used to execute the primary/secondary action of the selected Favorite.

The category panel in the Viewer remains unchanged. This is a standard Windows tree control element and the cursor key handling is hard-wired, so to speak. Quite hard to change between Windows and the 3rd party UI toolkit. Too much effort for probably a too small user group.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Gerhard

Thank you for the fast reply and implementation.

I have to admit, I never used the favorite panel.
So I just read the help and tested it a bit.

In general the solution to use the favorite panel for assigning categories is fine by me, but I have some questions/wishes
- Is there a way to save /export a custom favorite set? (importing / loading a saved set would be nice) (copying a "favorite set" file in explorer is fine by me too, if something like that exists)

- the "remove all entries from the active favorite set" button is dangerous, as it deletes the whole set without confirmation (if save/load or export/import for favorite sets exists, then the button is no problem)

- probably only for category favorites, a single "combined" button to toggle between assign and unassign the category would be nice ( like space bar in category panel)

- is there a way to prevent multiple column favorite layouts ( other then changing the width of the panel)? (with a very long name in a placeholder i can enforce a 2 column layout)

Mario

QuoteI have to admit, I never used the favorite panel.

Then you avoiding one of the most powerful time-saver features for assigning categories and keywords.

Quote- Is there a way to save /export a custom favorite set? (importing / loading a saved set would be nice) (copying a "favorite set" file in explorer is fine by me too, if something like that exists)

No. IMatch automatically saves all your favorites.

Quote- the "remove all entries from the active favorite set" button is dangerous, as it deletes the whole set without confirmation (if save/load or export/import for favorite sets exists, then the button is no problem)

This works that way since IMatch 5 (for many years) and I'm not aware that somebody clicked this accidentally. Or at least nobody ever reported this as a problem. Feel free to open a feature request.

Quote- probably only for category favorites, a single "combined" button to toggle between assign and unassign the category would be nice ( like space bar in category panel)

Hold down <Shift> when clicking the mouse to trigger the secondary action for folder and category Favorites.

Quote- is there a way to prevent multiple column favorite layouts ( other then changing the width of the panel)? (with a very long name in a placeholder i can enforce a 2 column layout)

No. This is a feature, not something you would want to turn of.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Gerhard

QuoteQuote

- probably only for category favorites, a single "combined" button to toggle between assign and unassign the category would be nice ( like space bar in category panel)

Hold down <Shift> when clicking the mouse to trigger the secondary action for folder and category Favorites.

I wanted to bind the "function" to a marco key on the keyboard, otherwise I need 2 keys.

Mario

Quote from: Gerhard on June 30, 2019, 03:13:44 PM
I wanted to bind the "function" to a marco key on the keyboard, otherwise I need 2 keys.

This is a very peculiar situation. IMatch cannot handle everything.
Do you know that you can assign keyboard shortcuts to Favorites? No external tool or keyboard needed.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator