Address book import/sync for People Manager

Started by plastikman, April 08, 2020, 09:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plastikman

I think it would be very helpful to new users to be able to import an address book file (e.g., .vcf or .csv) and automatically generate a list of people and maybe people categories (based on grouping in address book). There should be an option to import and create new people or to update existing people (kind of like mapping keywords with Auto Tagger).

Most People Manager fields are already in my address book and I would like to keep one source of truth instead of cross-updating. This could be an app too, I believe someone was already working on something like this as a workaround.

I find the People Manager extremely useful and a big differentiator compared to other software.

mastodon

plastikman

Quote from: mastodon on April 08, 2020, 05:43:28 PM
This request is something like Mapping of family relationships in People manager.

They are connected for sure but not exactly the same: one is about the data entry for People (and syncing that to address book), the other one is about mapping the relationships between the people which is not something stored in the typical address book (but Apple and I believe Google lets you define the relationships there if you want to but I reckon few people did so bare the most essential ones).