Metadata assignment workflow help

Started by nbagno, July 23, 2019, 05:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nbagno

Using iMatch 2019.6.2

Looking for an easier way to do this. I am trying to go through several hundred images and use a section of the iMatch metadata to pick out which scanner was used on an image, and use that scanner type metadata to then assign the scanner make and model that I have set up as a category. Problem is, when I click on an image, it takes several seconds for the metadata to update, then I have to scroll up or down in the Metadata panel to find the iMatch metadata section so I can see which scanner was used to scan in the image. Looking for a faster solution to this.

Summary,

jch2103

Try using a data-driven category (on the tag that identifies the scanner name). This should give you a compact list of all images generated by specific scanners.
John

ubacher

I would try to filter using the value filter. There you get all files wit the same scanner name.

Mario

1. Why does it take several seconds to update the metadata?
Do you make IMatch write-back the changes immediately to the file? This would be a slow workflow indeed.
By default IMatch writes changes to metadata only to the database, which takes less than 0.1 seconds.

2. Did you check the IMatch Standard Categories > Images > Make and Model?
If your scanner updates the standard make/model metadata tags, IMatch has your files already organized by scanner.
This is usually not something you need to do by hand.

IMatch automatically creates the IMatch Standard Categories and IMatch Workflow Categories when you create a new database.
When your database is old and does not have these categories, you can import them via Importing & Exporting Categories. The categories are contained in the file C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\Presets\system-en.imcsx. If you are using a non-english system, check for a sample set in your language in the same folder.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

nbagno

Thanks for the replies, I'll need a little time to investigate the proposed solutions.

@Mario - I'm not making any metadata changes, I have the metadata panel open but when I click on an image it takes several seconds before the existing metadata is "refreshed" in that panel. I assume it's because these scanned files can be from 100-700mb each?.

To summarize, and maybe I am going about this wrong. I have created multiple categories for the different scanners I use (as well as film type, film camera used (no film camera metadata) available. The scanners do write to the metadata, so I've been looking at each image in my database, then scrolling in the metadata panel to see which scanner was used then assigning that image to the appropriate category.  Each time I click an image, it takes that metadata panel several seconds to update before I can even see what scanner was used.

I hope that is more clear.

Mario

1.  The update speed of the metadata panel depends 100% on the database performance. Unrelated to the image site, all the data comes from your database.
We need more info. Log file in debug mode (see log file). A screen shot of your IMatch workspace.

2. Your workflow is not good.

You should:

1. Use a filter to select all files from a scanner.
2. Select these files in the File Window
3. Assign them all to the category at once.
4. Update filter for the next scanner.

If you do this file by file it would take ages.

Tip: The Metadata Value Filter, set to whatever tag your scanner writes, shows you all scanner names and allows you to filter for them with a single mouse click.
See Value Filter

You did not answer my question so I still don't know which tag of if you bothered to look at the ready-made IMatch categories which probably already did that for you..
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

nbagno

Thanks again for the reply.

Filters did the trick, and yes the built-in categories had what I needed. Not going to worry about the metadata refresh.

Thanks again.

Mario

Very good.

I highly recommend to browse the intro chapters in the IMatch help. You may otherwise miss many features which speed up and smoothen your workflow.

I recommend:

+ Meet IMatch
+ Visual Index
+ Keyboard Cheat Sheet

and the free video tutorials in the IMatch Learning Center.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator