Move the database file to a new location, not the photo files.

Started by Imageman, August 10, 2019, 11:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imageman

My database file is located on an external drive, along with the drives that contain the all the photo files.
I'm going to move the database file itself to an SSD in the computer, thinking it will remember all the image files and catagories and other data if I point it back to the external drive where the photo files remain.

Might have to go through the Relocate process?

Mainly don't want to loose years of the wonderful catagory filing system!

Have I reached a correct conclusion?  -  Thank you, Bob :)

JohnZeman

It has been a couple years since I did the same thing you want to do, and as I recall it went very smoothly.  I left all of my photos on the D: drive and moved the database from D: to the new SSD C: drive.

After moving the database I opened it on C: with IMatch and I think I was up and running again.  If I wasn't I know it didn't take much until I was back up to full speed again with everything working as it should.

Good Luck.

Mario

The location of your database file is irrelevant. You can just move it to anywhere while IMatch is not running.
Then open it via the Database > Open command in IMatch manually once. IMatch will then remember it automatically.

Changing the location of the database requires no additional actions. Since your images don't move, no relocation is required.
Moving your database to a SSD will result in a massive speed boost :D
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook