Avoid writeback when importing legacy images w/o hierarchical keywords?

Started by lbo, August 28, 2019, 01:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lbo

How can I ingest a bunch of legacy images not containing hierarchical keywords without the need of metadata writeback for them?

Keeping the auto generated hierarchical keywords in the IMatch database would be acceptable (although not necessary), just the image files shall stay unchanged.

Keeping the legacy files in a separate folder hierarchy came to my mind, but as far as I can see, I can't have different settings (e.g. "read only" or "no hierarchical keywords") for different folder trees, correct?

Mario

Your files will contain EXIF data, maybe GPS data, legacy IPTC data and maybe keywords in IPTC. Various time stamps.
Any of these tags cab require a mapping to XMP and thus a pending write-back. Its not only the keywords.

There are no metadata settings for unique folders. The complexity would be murderous.
Why don't you want IMatch to write back these files? If you want to keep them unchanged, don't add them to IMatch or keep a backup copy in a folder not managed by IMatch.
Or mark them as read-only in the Windows file system. Then they will remain pending forever.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

lbo

Marking as read-only works, thanks for the hint! Nice to see that IMatch detects the read-only flag before trying to write.

It also increases security against other unintentional changes.

Quote from: Mario on August 28, 2019, 01:40:52 PM
Your files will contain EXIF data, maybe GPS data, legacy IPTC data and maybe keywords in IPTC. Various time stamps.
Any of these tags cab require a mapping to XMP and thus a pending write-back. Its not only the keywords.

only hierarchical keywords are indicated by IMatch to be pending. The metadata has been written by ExifTool in a MWG-compliant manner.

Why don't you want IMatch to write back these files?

Why should something be changed without need and benefit? It imposes risks and effort.

If you want to keep them unchanged, don't add them to IMatch or keep a backup copy in a folder not managed by IMatch.

"don't add them to IMatch" is no option because the old files shall be searchable by IMatch.