Keeping certain settings during updates and between computers

Started by Hertzberg, August 22, 2019, 08:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hertzberg

There are certain settings I use that do not seem to be captured in the settings database, specifically settings for Text Export, Workspaces,  and Slide Show. Also Batch Image Processing, but that has an import/export feature I can use to move the settings across versions and between computers. I use the standard Pack'n'Go protocol to move my database. Is there something else I can do to ensure that I don't lose all these settings?

Mario

All these settings are in the settings database. They are stored per-user (mostly).
Do you use the same user name on both computers?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Hertzberg

Yes, I use the same username. The settings database is moved along with the database, correct? Some settings do move; my unique file relations are always there, but not the ones I mentioned.

Mario

If you use Pack & Go, the settings database is automatically backed up and restored.
I just checked and the Text Exporter presets (for example) are stored per-user. If you use the same Windows log-in name (user name) on both computers, it will work.
What is missing? Presets you have created in the text exporter?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Tveloso

This may not be related...but I had a similar issue some time ago when I moved to a new PC.

I never had an issue with settings not holding between IMatch Releases, but my issue on the new PC was related to the name of the settings Database (as stored in Edit->Preferences->Application). 

I forget exactly the details, but I believe that the name that was configured on my old PC (and that was moved over to the new one by Pack&Go) differed from what had been configured on the new PC by the new IMatch Install.  Once I discovered that, I think the approach I took was to rename the settings Database to match the new Configured Name (I think possibly it might have been a rename from something like imatch.pts or imatch5.pts, to imatch6.pts).  Could something like that be going on here?...
--Tony

Hertzberg

I am using exactly the same Windows user name, and I'm very careful to use the same name and location of my settings database file on all my machines. I'm confident that the settings database file is being moved and used correctly because my unique file relations showed up correctly on a new machine with a new installation of Imatch, after unpacking my database. The specific settings that are not transferring for me are the Text Export settings that I have stored with a specifically named preset, named Workspace layouts, and the slideshow text string.

Mario

File relations are stored in the IMatch database, not in the settings database.

Slide show settings are stored per-user / per computer (they not only contain your custom text but also many computer/monitor-related info).
So they cannot be restored on a different PC or for a different user.

All import & export settings are stored per-user and are restored on a different computer. I've just checked.
Not sure why this does not work for you.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Hertzberg

OK, now it works. You helped me understand that the settings were there in the settings database file, but the user was not being properly recognized. I changed the user alias to an arbitrary name on both machines (same name), and then back to the actual Windows user name, and then back to blank for default. Now settings are transferring properly! Thanks.

Mario

How obscure...never encountered this. I use IMatch on two PCs, one tablet and 8 (!) virtual PCs for Windows version testing...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator