Preventing file copy within the same folder?

Started by loweskid, September 05, 2019, 04:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loweskid

When I'm applying catagories I select a bunch of files by holding down the CTRL key and selecting the appropiate files with the mouse.  If I accidentally move the mouse while clicking, even by just a fraction, it immediately starts to copy the files to the same folder (appending (1) to the file names).  I then have to delete the duplicates.  Is there a way to prevent this happening (other than being more careful when clicking!)?

Incidentally, I've been using IMatch for years but I don't remember this happening in the past - has something changed recently or am I just getting a bit more doddery in my old age?

ubacher

Just happened to me - twice. This is something new!

ianhak

I have just updated from iMatch 2017 to 2019 and having the same problem. This is very frustrating as much of my work is selecting multiple files.

jch2103

John

Mario

Windows has a certain pixel threshold (this is a system setting I believe) before it considers a mouse move to actually mean drag. But just dragging or pressing Ctrl does nothing.
Ctrl + Drag + button release issues a copy operation. Press ESC to prevent the drag & drop operation.

Do you select individual files while holding down Ctrl?
And then you accidentally move the mouse and also release the mouse button?
I have not experienced this (just tried). Do you use a mouse or another pointing device? Touch perhaps?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

This unintentional file copy happens to me frequently in windows explorer.
(Thanks for the explanation)
But now it also happens to me in Imatch - this is new!

loweskid

Just a quick response as I'm busy with other things at the moment - I'll do some further testing if you wish, when I have time...

I still have IMatch 3 on my system and it does not do this.   In IMatch 3 I can select any number of files then, while holding down the CTRL key and moving the mouse, all I get is the 'no entry' sign (circle with a diagonal line across) and it will only copy the files if I move the mouse to a different folder.  It will not allow copying to the same folder.

For the record - I'm using a left-handed vertical mouse (German, WD Plus GmbH, so it must be good.. :D).

Mario

This is a side-effect of an enhancement done some versions before.
Before, you could only drag files from the file window to selected other windows (e.g. to the Media & Folders tree for copying/moving, to the Category Tree for assigning, ...)

In order to support rich apps which can interface with IMatch using drag and drop (e.g. dragging files from an File Windows to an app, or dragging files from an app to a File Window) the File Window was enhanced to support the IMatch drag & drop protocols both as source and target. Before, dragging inside a File Window was only supported in Custom sort mode to allow re-arranging files.

The File Window had no explicit check to see if the source of the dropped files is itself. This means that selecting files, dragging them for a minimal distance while holding down CTRL and then releasing the mouse before releasing CTRL triggers a "Copy File" operation. If this happens to you depends on how far you drag, which pointing device you use etc.

I have not experienced this but I understand that this might be a problem for users.
I will look into this for IMatch 2020 and maybe just prevent drag and drop within the same File Window (except when in custom sort mode).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook