Wrong File Associations

Started by cthomas, October 14, 2019, 02:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomas

This file is from an old version of iMatch and I have been using it with my new version of iMatch but now it has a Photoshop File Association. What File Association should it have and how can I change to the correct File Association?

Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

You change file associations in Windows.
Right-click on a file in Windows Explorer > Open with... and then pick an application. Make sure to X the "Always use this..." option.
Please see the Windows help, google or contact the Microsoft support for more info.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on October 14, 2019, 09:34:27 AM
You change file associations in Windows.
Right-click on a file in Windows Explorer > Open with... and then pick an application. Make sure to X the "Always use this..." option.
Please see the Windows help, google or contact the Microsoft support for more info.

What application do I change the file type to?

Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

.IMCS is the file extension used by IMatch for files containing IMatch category schemata.

You cannot open these files in other application. IMatch uses this file type when you export / import categories.
IMatch does not associate applications with this extension and it does not index these files.

Photoshop can do nothing with these files. It will display an error message when you try to open it.
IMatch does not create file associations in Windows for these files so you have probably accidentally linked them to Photoshop.

You cannot easily unlink a file type from any file association.
To do this, run a command prompt in Admin mode and type

assoc .imcs=

to remove the link between the .imcs file extension and Ps.

Or Google for a step-by-step instruction.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on October 14, 2019, 06:13:19 PM
.IMCS is the file extension used by IMatch for files containing IMatch category schemata.

You cannot open these files in other application. IMatch uses this file type when you export / import categories.
IMatch does not associate applications with this extension and it does not index these files.

Photoshop can do nothing with these files. It will display an error message when you try to open it.
IMatch does not create file associations in Windows for these files so you have probably accidentally linked them to Photoshop.

You cannot easily unlink a file type from any file association.
To do this, run a command prompt in Admin mode and type

assoc .imcs=

to remove the link between the .imcs file extension and Ps.

Or Google for a step-by-step instruction.

I am not sure I know how to do this (run a command prompt in Admin mod). Can you send me a new file?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

I cannot send you anything.

And I'm not sure what you actually want to do.

From your explanation I understand that you have associated an internal IMatch file format (with the .imcs extension) with Adobe Photoshop.
This does not harm, Photoshop will just display an error message when you try to open an IMatch category file.
I would not bother. Just leave it as it is. You never open .imcs files with Photoshop. And only rarely in IMatch.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

cthomas

I got into Admin mode. And I typed assoc .imcs=. Do I need to type anything after the (=)?

I use this file to set up my catalogs in this version of iMatch 2019.8.4 (64-bit). What name should be to the left of .imcs? I don't think it should be 2 Universal Catalog. Is it?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Carlo Didier

Quote from: cthomas on October 14, 2019, 09:34:58 PM
I got into Admin mode. And I typed assoc .imcs=. Do I need to type anything after the (=)?

I use this file to set up my catalogs in this version of iMatch 2019.8.4 (64-bit). What name should be to the left of .imcs? I don't think it should be 2 Universal Catalog. Is it?
Don't put anything after the "=" because the the association will be removed (i.e. set to nothing).
Just type exactly and only what Mario wrote. Nothing more.
The command tells Windows to associate the file extension ".imcs" with no application.

cthomas

Quote from: Carlo Didier on October 14, 2019, 10:53:25 PM
Quote from: cthomas on October 14, 2019, 09:34:58 PM

Don't put anything after the "=" because the the association will be removed (i.e. set to nothing).
Just type exactly and only what Mario wrote. Nothing more.
The command tells Windows to associate the file extension ".imcs" with no application.

I have eight(8) hard drives in my computer. And I have a copy of this file on each of the drives (8 copies). So how would I remove the Ps from each file?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

No. File associations are a Windows thing and not related to specific hard disks.
When you have removed the association between the .imcs file extension and Photoshop once, Windows will no longer open Photoshop when you double-click an .imcs file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator