IMatch Updaing Files

Started by jhellocc, December 18, 2019, 08:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhellocc

Hello,

Recently, IMatch has been updating files almost continuously. Files that have never been changed get updated again. I think most of them are TIF files. I don't know what I am doing wrong but it never happened before. Each time tens of thousands of files were assigned to be updated. I waited 4 or 5 hours for it to complete but after a while the update starts again, this time with something like 12,000 files in the processing queue (as reported in the info & activity panel).

Is this about the new SSD that I have used recently? It seems to happen around the same time.

I have auto indexing on in background. Should I turn it off?

Sometimes I have to clear processing quese from the menu (not sure if I should do it). After the processing queue is cleared, after a while the update starts again.

I not good at using a computer and I may have done something wrong.

Thanks in advance..

Mario

QuoteIs this about the new SSD that I have used recently?

Have you moved your files to another hard disk?
Did you use the Relocate command in IMatch to tell IMatch that the files are now on another disk?

Because, it have a hunch that IMatch is adding all your files again to the database - because you have indexed files from the new disk but did not relocate.

See Off-line Folders and Files and specifically Files Moved to Another Disk or Computer

IMatch rescans folders and files when the "last modified" timestamp reported by Windows is newer than the saved timestamp in the database. The "last modified" timestamp of folders changes when files are added/removed/updated or when Windows or another application makes other changes to the folder. IMatch then rescans the folder, looking for new and updated files. It uses the cached timestamp to tell if a file has been modified.

Either you have a relocation problem (see above) or something has modified the timestamps of all files IMatch is rescanning...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jhellocc

Hello Mario,

I moved all my files to a new SSD (4 TB capacity). The drive letter is D: and I have relocated it several days ago and things were OK. Folder structure all the same. The database is on the boot drive C: (another smaller SSD). I don't have any offline folder or files.

I don't use another software. I don't know whether the timestamps were modified or not. I also have configured the SSD to not index any files at all. I only work in IMatch and things have been OK until after I got the new SSD.

These files were in the dropbox folder but all of them were local in the SDD of my notebook computer and dropbox says up to date most of the time. When I changed a few files in Photoshop (while using IMatch) the files were updated like before but I don't know why 12,000 files were also going to get updated. I have about 110,000 image files (RAW files (DNG, NEF, ARW), JPEG, TIF and nothing else).

I guess something goes wrong with my SSD because it happens about the same time (although I happy with the SSD).

Hope to hear from you again......

Mario

I have no further tips for you.

You can check the IMatch log file . (it always helps to attach a ZIPped log file when you report a problem).

IMatch logs "AddOrUpdate" file when it scans a file to check if it is updated (e.g., in response to Windows sending a "folder modified" event or IMatch detecting that the folder timestamp in the database is older than the folder timestamp on disk. If the file is not modified, IMatch reports it as 'current'. Else it enqueues it for a rescan. Rather simple. IMatch does not rescan files when the timestamp is unmodified.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jhellocc

Thank you very much Mario, I will learn to read the log file. And I hope I can report back here once the problem is solved.

Cheers,